Old 20th August 2007, 12:52 PM   #1
davide

Default Isonic 76 vs Sonic 52

Hello, I am so glad we got a new smaller Slalom board (I am 68Kg) but I am wandering how the new Isonic 76 compares with my old (but still so fast) Sonic 52. They seem very different especially in the tail and I wonder if the new Isonic might be too powerful for my weight and type of sailing (very powered up, 5.6 conditions in San Francisco Candlestick gusty 20-30 Knots).

The new Isonic sure looks beautiful!
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Davide,

It's worth considering that one of the target markets for this size is the "light weight" slalom racer, and the iS76 has not been developed as only an extreme wind board for big or bigger riders.

You will find the new iS76 sails a little larger and requires a slightly different technique to the razor narrow Sonic52, however for both overall control and overall speed, you will find that the newer iS76 is a more versatile and less "peaky" design, which will be more significant in gusty conditions, where the "carry" (glide?) of the iS76 shines thru.

The iS76's "safer" mid and forward section rail shape gives a lot more confidence in chop, and really allows the rider to "press on" when they would previously be thinking very seriously about trimming or backing off !

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 01:35 PM   #3
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fox View Post
You will find the new iS76 sails a little larger and requires a slightly different technique to the razor narrow Sonic52, however for both overall control and overall speed, you will find that the newer iS76 is a more versatile and less "peaky" design, which will be more significant in gusty conditions, where the "carry" (glide?) of the iS76 shines thru.

The iS76's "safer" mid and forward section rail shape gives a lot more confidence in chop, and really allows the rider to "press on" when they would previously be thinking very seriously about trimming or backing off !

Cheers ~ Ian
Indeed the Sonic52 is not exactly the most confidence inspiring board in steep chop, it takes me (still a recreational sailor) some guts to let it go when approaching a set. Still, it is (was) a wonderful board with a very demonic 5th gear, extremely controllable, as long as the sea is not confused or steep, and so easy to jibe (you can wip it around so nice!).

Comparing the two boards on paper the difference in the tail is quite huge: 37.3 versus 31! 31 is narrow, but 37.3 seems very large: my big light air 106 liters Lewis/Kinetic slalom has a 38 tail!

I am sure that that will be a big factor in making the two boards work very differently ... actually ... they are so different that it would be very nice to try the Isonic 76. Where? In Maui?

Last edited by davide; 6th September 2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 7th September 2007, 01:09 AM   #4
steveC

Hi Davide,

Although I can't specifically comment on the iS76 and your Sonic52 from experience, I thought I could offer some support for the newer wider designs. I was in a position of updating my 1999 ML 8'10" slalom board (which is still an absolute pleasure to sail) with one of Mike's latest designs. After receiving the new board, I took the opportunity compare the two boards side by side. The differences were clearly night and day. Although the new board was only about 3cms wider at the wide point, it was tremendously wider in the tail. This huge difference really stood out, and I wondered whether the new board would have rough water control and ease of turning I really enjoyed in the old board. Another two things that also stood out were the obvious differences in length (8'10" vs. 8'2"), and the fact that the new board had a much stubbier fuller nose shape.

Well, I can say my worries about whether the new board could deliver the goods were erased completely once I had the opportunity to run it through the paces. However, as Ian so aptly noted in his post above, the newer wider styled boards do take some adjustment in your stance and technique. I've found that the new board is arguably faster, offers great control in heavy chop, and it jibes significantly better. One wonders how can this be true, given the sleek racier shape of the older design. Well, it just goes to show that some of our well established paradigms can sometimes hold us back from taking a different, often unclear path.

While you might prefer to hold back on the iS76 until you have an opportunity to take a test drive, I'm sure that you'll find like I did that all that width really does work.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Hi Davide,

Well, I can say my worries about whether the new board could deliver the goods were erased completely once I had the opportunity to run it through the paces. However, as Ian so aptly noted in his post above, the newer wider styled boards do take some adjustment in your stance and technique. I've found that the new board is arguably faster, offers great control in heavy chop, and it jibes significantly better. One wonders how can this be true, given the sleek racier shape of the older design. Well, it just goes to show that some of our well established paradigms can sometimes hold us back from taking a different, often unclear path.

While you might prefer to hold back on the iS76 until you have an opportunity to take a test drive, I'm sure that you'll find like I did that all that width really does work.
You mean that there might be a reason why something like the boat below works (gee they do move a lot of water just to do 25-30 Knots)!

Besides the joke I am sure the board will work well (better then my skill level for sure!) and am very curious, at the end I am already sailing at least 3 different styles of board (and now there will be an Acid joining the tribe) so an additional change could be fun.

thank you for the input, a ML is still a very appealing option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skandia7156high_dp.jpg (87.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by davide; 7th September 2007 at 08:00 AM.