Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2007, 07:12 AM   #1
davide
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 249
Default Acid 74 2005 vs Acid 74 2007 for 69Kg

Hello,
I am 69 Kg and looking for a high wind board (4.0-5.0) to retire my F2 252 (52cm X 72 L).

I am thinking to buy a DRAM Acid 74 2005 which seems to be a bit bigger then the 252 (53.5, 74L, posossibly, more parallel/straight rails and possibly wider tail). A bit more bottom end power should be a good thing given where I sail (San Francisco Bay Area). Any idea of how this board compares with the venerable F2 252?

But more importantly: can somebody comment (maybe Ola) on the difference between a Acid 74 2005 vs the Acid 74 2007? With all the changes in shapes of the last 3 years it is a bit hard to keep track and decide which one to get!

thanks a lot!
D

Last edited by davide; 6th September 2007 at 01:21 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,191
Default

Yeah, the 74 defintely went though a few changes. First we had the classic 04 Acid 74 which was the last in line of many, many years of development (Suft 70->Acid 70->Acid 74).

The came the 2005 Acid 74 you're thinking about. Its a completely new design. Conacaves are gone etc. I though this board felt a bit big and by modenr standards a bit long, but it is still a favourite of mine. Very loose in a turn and with a certain kind of flow that is not easy to find. For me it planed early and easily handled 5.5 or even 5.7.

After that we got the Pure Acid 73 which was a ctually a slight redesign of previous the 05 Acid 70. This board was developed from an EVO 70 but draw out, so to say. It was a nice board any many still love it. Despite the EVO heritage, more width and less length it rode more "classic" than the 05 Acid on a wave. It handled chop very well though.

The we reach the 07 Pure Acid 74 (same shape as 08 PA74). This is again a completely new shape, based on a fast modern wave rocker and a trick v bottom. The PA74 is easily the fastest of the bunch and a very early planer and a great B&J board. But it is stillo a wav e it excels. It has a remarkable way of locking into a hard bottom turn and just track through everything. The tail feels very "solid" and needs some dedication at speed, but rewards with a very precise carve. In slower waves, there is still enough outline curve to keep the board loose. On top of this it has a nice and compact feel to it and great control in high wind. The 07-08 PA 74 is a very, very good board which is both high performance and easy to sail as well as extremely versatile. Its a favourite with the team too. A small remarks on width: The PA74 may seem very wide at 54cm, but we tested it against a 1.5cm narrower version in the proto stage and the wide one was simply a better board at everything.


Comparing 05 and 07 is not so easy. They are very different in feel but both of them are favourites of mine. The 07 does feel more "modern" in a way and for some reason the more compact shape simply feel more right. The 05 had a certain kind of flow (probably due to more rocker) which I miss sometimes, but I never got around that it felt a bit "big" and long. I think both boards have a similar sail size spectrum, the 07 maybe having a very slight edge both with bigger sails and smaller sails.

So, hard to choose. The 05 is still a very nice board and at a good price probably a bargin. The 07 combines world class down the line performance with great B&J performance in a very unusual way and is very easy to get on with. Its just up to you to choose...
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 10:22 PM   #3
davide
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post

So, hard to choose. The 05 is still a very nice board and at a good price probably a bargin. The 07 combines world class down the line performance with great B&J performance in a very unusual way and is very easy to get on with. Its just up to you to choose...
Thank you for the reply, I'll agonize for a while ... although the 05 is exactly half the price!
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 08:12 AM   #4
davide
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 249
Default Acid 74 vs Acid 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
Comparing 05 and 07 is not so easy. They are very different in feel but both of them are favourites of mine. The 07 does feel more "modern" in a way and for some reason the more compact shape simply feel more right. The 05 had a certain kind of flow (probably due to more rocker) which I miss sometimes, but I never got around that it felt a bit "big" and long. I think both boards have a similar sail size spectrum, the 07 maybe having a very slight edge both with bigger sails and smaller sails.

So, hard to choose. The 05 is still a very nice board and at a good price probably a bargin. The 07 combines world class down the line performance with great B&J performance in a very unusual way and is very easy to get on with. Its just up to you to choose...
Well, I start to feel silly but after almost deciding for an Acid 2007 Wood 74 I got doubts about its ... volume. At 150 pounds is the 2007 Wood going to be too small for the sometimes erratic conditions of a 4.0-5.0 in the Bay-Area (especially Crissy)? Should I consider the next board up? will an acid 80 (but from which year?) still cover the intended 4.0-5.0 with comfort or would it be too big? Any difference between 2005/2007 Asid 74 when it comes to slightly underpowered conditions?

The questions might seem silly, but it is again quite hard to figure on paper how these new boards with new shapes will perform ...

thanks in advance for a reply
Davide

Last edited by davide; 11th September 2007 at 09:00 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,191
Default

I' m actually a tad over 150 lbs and I would definitely not get a bigger board if you want. If anything both 74 liter boards are if anything a tad big for true all round wave performers, but if you'r not only riding very clean conditions this extra size will be good. Sama for B&J and backside type wave conditions. The 74 will be perfect. It (or both of them) easily takes a 5.3 too and you can squeze a 5,7 on without to much trouble if you need that.

Since You had a 72 l board before, I think you will handle the 74 when it comes to "sinking" so to say. And especially the 07 PA74 will be much more effective in light and gusty stuff than your F2.


Underpowered: I would say the 07 has an edge from its faster rocker line. Its a bit easier to get (and keep) going.

No silly questions. I know its hard to make these kind of decisions. We're here to try to help.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 02:10 PM   #6
davide
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 249
Default Small quiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
I' m actually a tad over 150 lbs and I would definitely not get a bigger board if you want. If anything both 74 liter boards are if anything a tad big for true all round wave performers, but if you'r not only riding very clean conditions this extra size will be good. Sama for B&J and backside type wave conditions. The 74 will be perfect. It (or both of them) easily takes a 5.3 too and you can squeze a 5,7 on without to much trouble if you need that.

Since You had a 72 l board before, I think you will handle the 74 when it comes to "sinking" so to say. And especially the 07 PA74 will be much more effective in light and gusty stuff than your F2.

Underpowered: I would say the 07 has an edge from its faster rocker line. Its a bit easier to get (and keep) going.

No silly questions. I know its hard to make these kind of decisions. We're here to try to help.
Thank you, it really sounds like the 2007 Acid 74 is what I need. The F2 gave me indeed quite a lot of experience in sailing with my knees under water! (kind of fun actually, if not exactly efficient). The problem in the Bay is mostly to get greedy ... you go out on the small board even when it is not a solid 20Kn+ ... and then ...

By the way, the Acid is the first step in building a minimal quiver covering 4.0 to 8.0 sails and (bay area) conditions.

Acid 74 / Isonic 76 (or 86) / Isonic 122, for sub-5.5 / 5.5-6.5 / (6.5)-8.0

Given the efficiency of modern designs it might work: I will finally stop carrying around 5 boards!

Last edited by davide; 11th September 2007 at 10:45 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 10:35 PM   #7
Screamer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 433
Default

Hi Davide

I'm far from wave board expert, but I thought I could offer you some thoughts re iSonics. By coincidence, I also plan to get iSonic122 as my biggest board, but the differences are: I'm 85-87 kg and I will use it with a 9m. I've tried it several times and while it's an excellent board, I think it will be way too big for your 69 kg. You may want to think about iS111 or even iS101 (Ola might help here again).
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 11:01 PM   #8
davide
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Hi Davide

I'm far from wave board expert, but I thought I could offer you some thoughts re iSonics. By coincidence, I also plan to get iSonic122 as my biggest board, but the differences are: I'm 85-87 kg and I will use it with a 9m. I've tried it several times and while it's an excellent board, I think it will be way too big for your 69 kg. You may want to think about iS111 or even iS101 (Ola might help here again).
Hi Screamer,
I am not sure, it really depends on what you want. If you want performance in very marginal conditions the is122 might be too small for you .. or maybe I am not used to the perfomance of new boards!

Where I am now: my current biggest board is a Mike's Lab 74cm, probably 120-130 liters weighting almost nothing (it is basically an eggshell, it goes straight from the VW to the water). With this board, a 52cm Tectonics and a 8.0 (my biggest sail) I can sail with barely a ripple of wind. I expect the Isonic to fill this place when the ML disintegrates. An IS111 is a possibility but I would be surprised if it can perform as well as the ML in marginal conditions, while the iS122 is of very similar dimensions (a bit larger and compact, but probably with a bit less volume)

By the time I am on a 6.5 I just need a smallish slalom board. I am always amazed at the efficiency of a slalom board in respect to a bump-jump/freeridish one. Yesterday I was out suddenly underpowered and struggling with my 5.6 and my Roguewave (56x85L). I decided to give a try to my Sonic W52 instead of changing sail and ... bingo, I had a very nice session: the S52 is 52cm X 74 L !! (Both boards were on the same Tectonics 30cm Slalom).

So my rational is really: iS122 for very marginal condition, is86 or even iS76 for unpowered 6.5 all the way to overpowered 5.5, and then the 2007 Acid 74 for Bump-Jump sub-5.0.

There is a big gap between a is76/iS86 and the iS122 but it should work, the triplet is76, is96/101, iS122 is too indulgent! iS111 +is76/86? Maybe

Last edited by davide; 14th September 2007 at 12:27 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 01:51 AM   #9
steveC
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 639
Default

Hi Davide and Screamer,

I can frankly say that I tend to think much like Davide here, because I think about my biggest board (with a larger fin too) to get me up and going in the very lightest of winds, and if things come up I'm on something quite a bit smaller. Admittedly, I'm surmising that Screamer wants to be powered up on the iS122 and the 9.0 to take advantage of the other side of the spectrum. Many believe that slalom boards are designed to be driven hard and focus accordingly. Believe me, there's a lot of truth to that philosophy, but I also think slalom boards are particularly potent and effective on the light side of things too, as evidented by Davide's successful switch from the RogueWave to Sonic.

As a aside about the ML, it's my experience that they don't disintegrate that easily, despite their notable light weight. My 1998 9'4" ML Course Slalom is still quite sound and going strong. However, I have to admit that its design is a bit outdated on the scheme of things, but I'm still quite fond of it.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 05:02 AM   #10
Screamer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 433
Default

Davide
I see that you don't mind this thread (yours) has gone on a tangent. It's obvious what you want so go for it (especially if you have experience with the similar design and want every last ounce of light wind performance). I was thinking along the lines of iS122 whole range (bottom to the very top). In my experience, lighter sailors will meet their "overpower" point much sooner.
I don't think iS122 will be too small for me & light winds, in fact I was considering iS111 also (at the moment I use a JP114 + 9.0 - a bit over the top really). That's because I want max wind range covered, rather than many specialist tools. I've been on Formulas/other wide boards, and don't want to go back there. So my quiver is just two rangey boards (at the moment) - Kombat86 (4-6m sails) + largish slalom (7-9m sails).
Another coincidence (?), I've just ordered Acid74, I know it won't get as much use as other boards, but for those truly mental days it should work well (yes, a special case here, but I'm tired of getting hammered ). Are there days in Bay area when your F2 252 is way too big for you?

Ah, the never ending quiver woes
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 02:17 AM.