Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 17th September 2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Unregistered

Smile pure acid

am looking for new board and am considering the 68L pure acid if some one could tell me what they are like iv been riding fanatic goya and new waves so if any info would be helpfull
Old 17th September 2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I've ride the PA68 both on Maui and at home in Sweden. At my weight (70kg) it feels very "right" in size and despite being a small board it planes up early. I didn't like it with sails bigger than 5.3 and actually preferred 5.0 and down. The board has an amazing way of setting into a hard turn (bottom turn) and nothing can make it loose its grip. In the top turn, you have a "solid" tail to work with , but its also rather narrow and it feels like having some kind of precision instrument right under your rear foot. So, overall the feel of the board is extremely sharp and fast, but with dependable rails and still not nervous at all. In really fast waves, I preferred the standard 21 fin which made the board stay a bit looser in the top turn. I slower waves (Kanaha and back home) I used fins from the original 21 to the 23 Drake Natural.

Since I'm normally on EVOs, I sold my PA68 to a friend (65kg), and he praises it EVERY time we talk and uses it as his all round wave board in all waves from 5.0 and down.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Unregistered

Ola, can you please tell me in a simple way the difference between PA and Evo ?
Which one is good for what ? Is one better in big waves or certain conditions ?
Old 21st September 2007, 02:13 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

In short, the PA turns over its rail and has a sharp feel, like on tracks. Very solid feel in a straightline too. The EVO more turns on its rocker. It will still hold a line very well, but you loose a bif of rail feedback. The EVO is much looser in the sense that you can easier vary the turning radius once the turn is set. This makes the EVO very natural when going vertical on the wave.

Both boards can be made to work in pretty much any conditions, and in "medium" conditions it is purely a mater of preferences which one that works best. But as winds get lighter and more onshore, waves get slower and smaller, the EVO will shine for more and more people. Conversely, the more cross off and big and fast it gets, the more people will prefer PAs.

As indicated above, EVOs prefer and excel at a more vertical, pocket style. As prefer and excel at a more power carving style. For an exemple of the more "pocket style", look at:

continued next post...
Old 21st September 2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

For an exemple of more "power carving", check out:

As it happens though, both sequences are on the same board (EVO70), which goes to show that you _can_ make any board to anything.
Old 21st September 2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Acid and Evo are 2 different animals for my taste :

Acid are more front foot driven, can be more hard driven over the tail block or rails in a low locked-in stance that is very similar to that of a race/slalom board. This is why it shines so well for hardcore freeriding.

Evo are more back foot driven, with more pivot on the fin when doing cutback, with a more stand up and straight stance over the centerline. Tight turns, manoeuvrability, snappyness and slashing in small pocket waves is vastly superior to that of Acid, no question.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote