Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 21st September 2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Screamer

Puclaro

You've got some good advice here. Imho in Force 8 and bone breaking chop you CAN'T have a board that will bring you home in dying wind (if it does, then it won't cut it when it's howling). I thought you should be able to shlog 68 litres at your weight.

I expect my Acid74 in October, so I'll give some feedback hopefully (I'll need loads of wind though @ my 85+ kilos). I got it for the conditions where fsw crossover shapes of around 85 lit (such as Kombat) get blown off the water.

Ola wrote: "flat out, let it fly style"
Now you sound like Ian, never ease off the accelerator

Bye
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:10 AM   #12
puclaro

Screamer, never said I can't shlog the 68-69 boards, the point is if there are better or worse shlogger boards.. try parking your car at Coyote and coming back at 3rd.. The 2003 acid 77 was good at dealing with efficient shlogging in quite low winds, and I was weighting 76 on that time, so I think the comparison is fair..

May be it's an impossible, but will keep looking for the magic board, perfect for high wind while good enough for shlog back.. if I found something will post.
puclaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 01:12 AM   #13
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Ola wrote: "flat out, let it fly style"
Now you sound like Ian, never ease off the accelerator

Bye
Well, I have two iSonics now. Maybe i got infected by something though them...

Seriously though, sailing boards in chop is a bit like mountain biking super rough terrain. If you slow down you will get bounced around a lot and will be in for a very tiring ride. If you keep sped up you will float over things and in the end be much more in control.

But I know it not easy. I can don it well on my wave tuff because I'm so much at home on it. But when I step on my slalom stuff I'm a beginner and when it gets rough, I tend to let of and then get bounced around which makes things even worse. So, it take more that just _knowing_ how it should be done. If you are not comfortable on your gear to start with, you are unlikely to trust it enough in the right stuff.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:13 PM   #14
MichaelS

I may be pushing the envelope of this thread, but how about small racesails for this type of sailing? I find that my 4.8 and 4.2 freemovesails almost never seem to cover the required "gustrange" at these windspeeds - it's too much "stop and go/overpowered". I would expect a small (<= 5m) racesail to have the largest usable windrange in one trim.

But would this be compatible with e.g. a PA74?

/Michael
MichaelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 12:08 AM   #15
davide

Default Superfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I may be pushing the envelope of this thread, but how about small racesails for this type of sailing? I find that my 4.8 and 4.2 freemovesails almost never seem to cover the required "gustrange" at these windspeeds - it's too much "stop and go/overpowered". I would expect a small (<= 5m) racesail to have the largest usable windrange in one trim.

But would this be compatible with e.g. a PA74?

/Michael
My smallest "racesail" is a Naish 5.6 RedLine (2006, 2 cams) that I can easily use when people are in the 4.5-4.7 range. I sometimes wonder if a locked-down style of sailing with a very small race sail, for example a Hotsails Demon at its smallest 4.0, might be the ticket.

It might work for some people but in the Bay Area the problem is the high frequency chop. I am not sure if I will ever be able to push myself to the point of feeling confortable adopting the same approach I have with my slalom board/sail in VERY high winds.

If anything I am going the opposite direction, I am ordering a small quiver of Hotsails Superfreak (5.0/4.2 or 4.7/4.0) trying to calm down the sailing at those high wind speed.

The idea is to keep 5.5+ for locked down blasting, and <5.0 to "relax" and dance around ...

Last edited by davide; 6th October 2007 at 10:33 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 02:40 AM   #16
MichaelS

Davide, have you used the Redline on your waveboard?

My smallest board is a 2000 95L RRD Freeride (266x58), and i need (and also prefer) to sail in a locked-down style to keep the nose down in chop. And i feel this is much easier with a stable sail. Just wondered if 5.0 racesail + 75L waveboard might be the magic solution for me.
Old 25th September 2007, 03:18 AM   #17
Ola_H
TEAM

I have sold my PA74, but I'm gonna try my 5.5 speed sail on my Kombat 79 (VERY similar to the PAs) next time it gets that windy and I'm not wave sailing.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 05:47 AM   #18
Jean-Marc
TEAM

I remember an old post of Andy Daff who had done some serious Vmax with an Acid 74, but I cannot find it anymore, sorry...

The problem of using race sails on a wave board is the amount of power you can push over the thin tail and small fin. With wavy rails on the tail and a inboard/centered rear footstrap, there is very little to push against.

Sometimes, I'm using my seat harness with the wave board to really blast around. I have better power with the legs in overpowered conditions and it's easier to go upwind in a locked-in attitude. However, it's also easier to get serious spinout if loading too much the rear foot on a deep reach (easily done with a seat harness).

I guess this might be more efficient on the tail block of the Kombat 79 with outboard straps and a tad thicker rails than that of the PA 74 (no problem with a RS1 6.6 sail on my Kombat 86 and the stock 30 cm freeride fin; but the tail block of Acid 62 is way too thin with same sail and fin).

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 08:26 AM   #19
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Davide, have you used the Redline on your waveboard?
Just wondered if 5.0 racesail + 75L waveboard might be the magic solution for me.
Hi Michael,
no I have not sailed the Redline with the Acid 74. The wind has been completely dead adter the advisory. However I do not plan to use it on the Acid 74 (on the SW52 and iSonic 76, yes!)

The following might be of some use to you: I can use my Redline 5.6 with my Rogue Wave (55.5 wide about 86 liters, somewhat similar to the Kombat in size). My Rogue Wave was built as a freeride/slalom with fairly thick rails, long straight, and V in the back, and with a Tuttle Box: I can use a Tectonics Goldwing fin on it (30cm). It actually works very well, it makes for a slower but very sure footed ride when powered up. However: the SW52 is faster, and goes upwind better.

The Acid 74 with a 5.0 freerace on paper should work, but do get an upright fin (think True Ames Convert 28cm long). Still it is questionable if you will be able to sail efficiently when powered up, I would not be surprised is the board starts to "slide". I might try the Acid with my HotSails Stealth 5.5 (7 battens "freerace") but not in very powered up to overpowered conditions ... by the time I get in sub-5.5 conditions I will use my SO 4.7/4.2 or the upcoming Superfreaks 5.0/4.2/3.7 ... (sitll: in just powered 5.5 my Sonic S52 or the upcoming Isonic 76 will work better ...)

Last edited by davide; 6th October 2007 at 10:35 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 02:53 AM   #20
MichaelS

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

Ola, if you ever get a chance to sail the Kombat with a racesail, i would very much appreciate to hear about your findings.