Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st October 2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Solaris

Post Vapor07?

Hello!

I have problems on 07 Vapor 7,6 sail. Two bottom battens ( under the boom ) seems to be a little short so the sail doesn't have any profile under the boom. I don't know is it because they are overtense and damaged, or factory put shorter battens by mistake! I have mesured bottom batten and it is 1415mm long plus 100mm plastic top with imbus screw. Can somebody give me advice or reason why is that so! I can send you pics of sail also.
Sail is brand new. I sail with it few times and a problem was not at the begining. First I notice wrinkles at bottom batten and then at a second bottom batten( under the boom ). The thing is that battens are looking OK, so I can't find a problem. Maybe they became short because I overtension them by imbus screw!?!

Best regards!
Thanks!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Jille

If you overtensioned the battens, the rod will slide in the tube. In that case you can see that the joint is broken.
If the joint is stil in one piece, it must be to short or the tip of the battens are sticking into the sleeve (stick through the reinforced cloth of the sail).

Hope this helps.
Jille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Solaris

Hello Jill,

Thanks for your quick reply!
I find that joint is broken on the bottom batten. Should I just put some strong glue on it and leave it like that or batten needs some modification or replace?
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Jille

Recently I've broken the joint of my 9.0 (put my knee on it when I crashed).

I've ordered an new rod at the shop and made an emergency repair (don't know if that correct English btw) with glue for this moment.
If the glues can't hold it, it's no big deal.
The rod will slide into the tube and the sail will not be damaged (I think/hope ;-) )

I've ordered a new rod, because I think that the glue will not last very long, especially when you increase the batten tension to a normal level.

Hope that helps.

PS. If you don't order a new rod, please keep us informed about how long the glue lasts and what type/brand of glue you are using!
Could be very useful information, I think.

PPS. It's Jille, not Jill ;-) (I'm a dude)
Jille is offline   Reply With Quote