Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd October 2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default formula 147 Vs 160

hi,

with 10.7 RS6 and my weight 85 kg
are there many advantages to change my 147 for a 160 ?

won't I loose too much control and easyliness in strong wind-choppy conditions ?
what wil I earn exactely ?

thanks
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:36 AM   #2
Ken

I made the transition from the 147 to the 160 a year and a half ago. I am mostly a recreational sailor, but do race Formula a few times a year. I weigh 80kg and use Maui Sails 8.4, 9.2 & 11.0. I sail my Formula board about 60-70% of the time, jumping down to a 105 liter board when the wind picks up.

Both boards are great and I had absolutely no problem with the additional volume of the 160. Performance wise, I haven't noticed any significant differences accept the 160 planes a bit quicker than the 147. The pro sailors should have a better sense of the differences. In the higher winds (I have raced in over 25 knots a couple of times), I just rig smaller and have no control problems.

At 85kg, you will probably find a noticeable difference in the lighter winds. A friend of mine that weighs about 85 - 87 kg that I sail with often just changed from the 147 to a 159, and he is very happy with the improved performance in the marginal winds.

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default 8m4egy

thanks

and for upwind abilities ?

and other opinions ?
Old 5th October 2007, 01:10 AM   #4
Ken

Since I didn't have both boards at the same time or had the opportunity to compare side by side upwind capabilities, I can't comment.

Downwind, more volume in marginal winds allows for deeper running so the 160 has a slight advantage.

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote