Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 4th October 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
torgard

Default One Board for 70kgs

I'm 70kgs, 47 years old and sail mostly with 6.2 down to 5.0, very occasionally 4.5. - Open sea swells and small waves. I'm looking to replace my aging mistral flow 266 which had 91 litres.
Unfortunately living here in Korea I don't have much interaction with other windsurfers so would appreciate some advice.
I've narrowed it down to the kombat 96 or the 89 but can't decide between them. I fear the 96 may be a little too floaty, on the other hand I'd like to be able to get on a plane on Force 4 days, would the Kombat 89 be able to handle this?
torgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Kombat 89 is best for your weight and sail range. You might even try it with a 6.7-6.9 sail and 30 cm freeride fin to boost her lower wind range (Kombat 86 is great for my 65 kg and 4.2-6.9 sail range).

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Krister

Ahh, the flow 266, what a classic "do it all" board. I had a green one that eventually opened up at the seem and took on water...

I've ridden the Kombat 87 with 5.7 and 4.4 sails. In very marginal conditions with 5.7 it was easy to slog out (I'm about 68kg) and surf back in, it planes early, jumps and turns well, it is actually a much nicer board than the flow board in all aspects. I haven't tried the larger Kombats but for open sea waters I think that you'll be better off with the 89.
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

70 kilos - that just like me. While I think that the 96 might have a very, very slight edge with a 6.2, the 89 will handle that size well enough (with a bigger fin) and overall be much more allround.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 04:24 AM   #5
Andy1234

Hi Torgard
I had the Flow 266 too. I thought the volume was 95 (or 96) L, so the kombat 96 would be a good replacement and it shouldn't feel more floaty compared to the Flow 266. On the contrary: You will love the feeling of a shorter board.
But this only one aspect for your decision.
Andy
Andy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 08:47 AM   #6
torgard

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I notice now, looking back over the forum that this same question has come up before so thanks for your tollerance. Anyway now I can make a more informed choice. The 96 may be the safe choice but I don't think I can resist the appeal of a shorter 89.
Krister - My flow 266 did exactly the same thing, burst apart at the seams, cracked under the foot pads, and the skin peeled away around the fin box to reveal a nasty void underneath, all within the first few months. Although I patched it all up I guess I've been sailing around on a pretty much waterlogged board for the last eight years.
I was going to complain to mistral but felt they wouldn't pay attention to a lone voice from Korea.
Finally last weekend the forward section of the nose broke off giving me an excuse to get a new board.
Thanks
Torgard
Old 7th October 2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Screamer

Torgard
At your weight you'll be much better off with a Kombat8x (whatever year), ideal for 4.5-6.2.
I don't agree that a Kombat will feel the same as the Flow of the same volume. I've ridden Screamers, Flows, F2 Axxis and Kombats actually feel larger/floatier because of the added width (I think a lot of sailors share this opinion). So I believe a K96 will be more like a 105 Flow.
On the other hand, Force 4 (below 16 knots) is not really windstrength in which Kombat will shine.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 08:58 AM   #8
torgard

Screamer
Thanks for the opinion.
Unfortunately the smallest boards i can find here in korea at the moment is the Kombat 97 and JP supercross 96. I was about to resign myself to getting the kombat 97 but after your message have decided to wait until the new year when new stock arrives. It does however mean that i miss out on this winter's north west monsoon (see recent post from vietman above) but that's life i suppose.
Old 12th October 2007, 06:45 AM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Didn't have time to try the new 2008 Kombat, unfortunately, but from what I've seen in details, they look more or less the same as before, so I could confirm that K86/K87/K89 will be more suited to your weight and sail range. Tried Kombat 95 and it felt as large as my former 2001 Carve 111, i.e., started to get a bit big under foot with a 5.4 sail in 20-25 knots of wind. Better wait for a truly gem...!

Cheers !

JM

PS : K86 + freeride 30 cm/wave onshore 24 cm fin + NP Jet 6.9 sail : absolute great fun in 12-18 knots for my 183 cm x 65 kg.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote