Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 2nd October 2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Sam J

Default Carve gybe

Hi Roger
I'v just bought a carve 122 2007 model (it's great) and i'm trying to learn carve gybes. I know the basics but i never seem to get out planing. Could you run me through the technique and also give me a few tips etc...
Cheers Sam
Sam J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
First, always remember that speed going into your jibe is your very best friend.
If you have lots of speed when you begin your carve, that carries all the way through and it's what will keep you planing on the way out.
In order to work on your fully planing jibes, it's probably a good idea to break it down into at least 3 or 4 "stages" and work on each stage individually.
At first, concentrate on making wide radius jibes that help to keep your speed up, and give you a bit more time to get your timing right.
"Timing" is the real key to making nice jibes.
If you have speed and timing, everythig works and you may find yourself with your sail flipped, your feet switched, and still planing, or at least only a pump away from plaing out.
Work first on making your transition from sailing straight into the entry of your jibe smooth and in a manner that maintains your speed.
If you are super powered up, then oversheeting (like all the jibe guru's suggest) works well, but if you are sailing in more real world conditions where you either don't have alot of excess speed going in, or you aren't really powered up fully, then you need to keep a little power in your rig all the way until you flip the sail.
Learn to use landmarks, bouys, etc, so you know where "downwind" really is.
Then flip a little early. Flipping your sail can be boom/mast/boom or boom to boom when you get a little better.
Flipping a little early is better as you have a better chance to get your rig powered up after the sail flip.
Footwork and timing will allow you to set your rail on entry, carve the board around to nearly downwind, flip your rig, maintain the carve angle as you shift your feet, and finally power up the rig while still heading well below a beam reach.
That's the basics, now you need to go out, work on each stage, then begin to "put the stages together" and do alot of jibes.
Every time you blow one, stop a moment and think about what you did vs what you think you needed to do. If some part of your jibe isn't working, doing it repetitively without making any changes will give you repetitive failures.
Work on the timing most of all.
Once you get the timing right, it becomes much easier to "fix" individual stages of your jibe because you will be able to maintain your speed fat better.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 12:40 AM   #3
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

i would agree with roger there. if you are having trouble, just concentrate on the carve and foot change first. Let the sail pull you over, then let go of the rig early and then carve all the way around, then collect it again on the other side.

As for planing jibes, i have yet to get one. I have trouble trying to flip the sail after the carve. it seems I can't sheet in afterwards some of the time. I sometimes even have to just pivot the board more upwind to sheet in, which I don't understand. It mustbe some mental block, because somtiems I get them, other times I don't
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Duracell

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurferdagg View Post
just concentrate on the carve and foot change first. Let the sail pull you over, then let go of the rig early and then carve all the way around, then collect it again on the other side.
is why the following happens

Quote:
As for planing jibes, i have yet to get one. I have trouble trying to flip the sail after the carve. it seems I can't sheet in afterwards some of the time. I sometimes even have to just pivot the board more upwind to sheet in, which I don't understand. It mustbe some mental block, because somtiems I get them, other times I don't
You can only "let go" in overpowered situations. In all other situations YOU have to flip your sail push (clew) and pull (mast).

And keep in mind broad reach (start flip) to broad reach (already hooked in again in new direction)
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 07:06 PM   #5
windsurferdagg

Yah, i was experimenting with that and it does make a HUGE difference. I got my first fully planing carve jibe yesterday. Sick feeling on a 5.8 and hypersonic reasonably powered. Just carve around, then flip and hook in, and you are sitll planing!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize it untill I was able to put my feet in the straps right away :-O and no pumping needed. Also learned the importance of a wide arc. I always thought you had to lay the sail down too. but i was told you don't so i just came over the board and extended from hand etc and i had way more speed :-) This better not be the last sesh of the season for me though....
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Duracell

Quote:
I always thought you had to lay the sail down too. but i was told you don't so i just came over the board and extended from hand etc and i had way more speed :-) This better not be the last sesh of the season for me though....
If you are really overpowered (like in 30-50kts)

- you can either lay down the sail during the flip (not everyones taste) to spill power or
- you can oversheet hard and fast slicing the wind taking the wind completely out of your sail (again, not everyones taste) to spill power

but if overpowered you have to spill it someway and you have to spill it fast and decisive.
Old 4th November 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
windsurferdagg

its amazing how much throwing the rig and being aggressive really does help. I got out on my smaller 80L board and it directly translates to it as well. Nailing jibes left right and center. Unfortunatly I wasn't really powered, but still got a couple.

Its amazing once you get jibes, how good you feel about sailing. Way more consistant and more confident :-)
Old 5th November 2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Duracell

the throw/pull method is the only one that will work in conditions where you are

- much faster than the wind
- ~ as fast as the wind
- much slower than the wind

so its the way to go.

Other gybes work well in their "designated" conditions