Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th November 2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Randy

Check out Boardlady.com for the definitive guide to installing inserts - even one about installing inserts for handles IIRC. It's not the easiest way, (first put divincyl around the insert, shape it, cut out the area, install it, glass over it.) But I don't think there is any way that is stronger.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 07:22 PM   #12
flipper

once again, thanks. these have been some quality responses and another indication of why the starboard community is so great. and now off to look at the boardlady's site i go ....
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 11:23 PM   #13
Floyd

Dont want to contradict Steve BUT the inserts ypu show work fantastic. I`ve fitted loads(innner/forward straps on F2 Styles and Kombats)
Be carefull drilling hole; it wants to be around 1mm smaller than max insert size. (they pop into place)
When fitted (with plenty of resin) turn board over so resin accumulates around top (inside) of inseert.(rather than its base)
Its almost impossible to fit a deep rooted insert and laminating surface
I dont use any strands/ glass but dont over doo drilling out foam but do drill to a depth so all insert is immersed.Dont fit 2 inserts along side one another (for straps a single fixing is fine and would easily carry board))
I have a 7 year old F2 and the srtap fixings (christmass tree type like yopurs) are still absolutely fine.
See Gun site for info. (they still supply them)

Good luck
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 05:28 AM   #14
steveC

Floyd, you nailed me. My approach was classically conservative, and admittedly, very "old school" in design and execution. It's interesting to get more feedback on use of these particular "designed inserts". I always wear earplugs (my ears have been a problem back since 1968, and I've had to work with the situation since then), but they incorporate a similar flared design to trap and keep the water out. A different way of working the problem, but very insightful nonetheless. I'm glad that you offered a great counterpoint.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 04:45 PM   #15
Floyd

Smile

Hi Steve
No dont think I nailed you.There`s always more than one way to do a job.To my mind when working on board simplest and smallest is nearly always best route.(It also tends to be lightest)
The inserts almost fit themselves if hole is correct diameter(didnt want to quote a measurement because they do come in slightly diff diameters)
The insert collapses on insertion and springs back.(I use a rubber malet to tap them in) The epoxy seals and strengthens.They really are are strong and simple job.I reckon they are stronger than many OE fitted inserts.(You must use epoxy resin though)Over years I must have fitted 30 or so.Never had any come out;leak or crack board.(Even ones I put in with oversized holes;which ended up flush with top of board;they normally stand a few mm proud)
Take care.
Old 19th November 2007, 07:28 PM   #16
flipper

when i went back to the guy who had the inserts and told him why i was returning them -- ie maybe they wouldn't hold -- he scoffed, i tell you, he scoffed. that said, floyd, if i do decide to humiliate myself and go retrieve them, do you really think one xmas tree insert per attachment point is enuf given that this board weighs maybe 25-30 lbs (i'm not sure what it is, but it sure feels that heavy ...) and there could be a lot of wind-driven torque on them? i'd feel more comfortable with 2 per, set apart by a little bit, unless that might cause structural issues of some sort. what'd'ya think?
Old 21st November 2007, 01:18 AM   #17
Floyd

Hi Flipper
I would never fit the inserts with less than a 5 cm gap between them.
I honestly think you would rip out a big chunk of the board out before the inserts pulled out.
I cant see how you could ever exert more force on them than with a footsrtap. which I have only ever held in with 2 per strap. (one either end)
If inserts are put in with a modicum of care you will be amazed at their strength.I dont think there is a stronger way of having a fixing.(I`ve pulled out brass inserts;glassed in straps;nylon blocks but never a christmas tree insert.
From an engineeering perspective fixing has got to be better with 2 inserts(ie to remove twisting/rotational force on a single )
Have a dummy run drilling and popping one onto a piece of sheet of some sort.It will give you a good idea how they work.(ie taper and gap for laminate).
Ask your supplier what diameter hole should be drilled .Make sure you drill (or end up with) a hole exactly that diameter.(too small and you could crack laminate ; too big and they wont sael on to laminate)

They are very good.
Old 21st November 2007, 06:23 AM   #18
flipper

thanks, floyd, i'm going to give a single a go.
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:23 AM   #19
Mike T

This Might be a silly Idea but why dont you use the two screws that hold the center fin in the board as an attachment point for a harness/shoulder strap arangement that would also loop around the nose and tail of the board. Then you don't have to worry about adding inserts. Use what is already there. All you would have to do is have some quick snap buckles that would disconnect the carry strap from the screws. If I remember correctly their is a deep tuttle box in the center of the board with two screws and a filler block in the bottom of the board. Just an idea. Good Luck! Mike T
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:40 AM   #20
Mike T

Hi Flipper Check this out on Surfingsports web site. Something else to think about without drilling any holes in the board. http://surfingsports.com/labels/stan...rd%20carry.asp Good Luck! Mike T
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote