Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 5th November 2007, 11:41 PM   #1
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-
Default which prokids flare

Hi!

I'm buying a prokids flare for my little brother but I can't decide on which size to take.
He is 11 and weighs 35 kg. He is good at windsurfing - he can comfortably plane on a 87 litre board (55 cm wide), pretty good at jumping high and he is getting into freestyle. He is learning the vulcan now, half way there, but the board is, i think, not really good for him because it is too big and it is a wave board. He sails mostly on a 3.2.

At his current weight, i think he would be comfortable with either one of the flares, but I'm afraid that he will 'grow out' of the 60 litre too fast. And I'm also worried that the 72 will be too big for him and won't be much dofferent from the guerilla
he is on now.

I look forward to hearing from you.

all the best
Old 6th November 2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Lampi,
I think I'd stay with the board that he's using now for a little longer, or buy the smaller
PK Flare.
In either case, 12 year olds (he'll be 12 pretty soon if he's 11 now) grow quickly, and and you will need the larger PK Flare within a year or so.
I can only tell you what I know from my experiences with the young freestyle superstars from Bonaire. Kiri, Bjorn and the others were able to do wonders with larger boards before the PK series was launched, so I'm pretty sure your little brother can make some good progress.
But, put him on a board that's sized right for him now, and he'll progress even faster.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Chris Pressler

Hi Lampi,
the Prokids Flare boards are designed for kids and itīs great to watch how much fatser they improve on these shapes. I would say that the size decision depends on in which he is sailing. If itīs super light most of the time I would suggest the 72 one. If it ghets windy most of the days I would suggest the smaller one. Roger is absolutely right, I guess, that your brother will grow much soon.

I would tend to the 72, which offers a great performance in lighter winds, still if your bro gets a bit heavier. And in lighter wind conditions you definitely improve most when learning newschool freestyle.

Good decisions,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 10:36 PM   #4
crazychemical

i agree with chris: he'll grow 'into' the board an the transition from 86 to 72 is also less dramatic. further more he'll be able to surf it longer as later on he can use it for high winds rather then regular conditions.

cheers H
Old 27th November 2007, 01:34 AM   #5
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

After giving it some thought, we went for the 72 litre, because my brother will be able to keep it for a longer time and it is also an alternative for me in really high winds and we also got a good deal on it. It will arrive soon and hopefully my brother (and me =D) will be testing it soon.

Thank you all for your advice.

All the best
Old 27th November 2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Chris Pressler

Hi Lampi,
congratulation to your Prokids Flare 72! You both will have fun and hopefully progress as quick as you can in freestyle. Keep me updated about your first tests and enjoy the time on the water.
All the best,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote