Old 20th January 2008, 02:32 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Need to repair paint chips?

I have got some small paint chips and scratches in my Wood iSonic in both bottom and deck area. The damage is not very deep, but some brown (in bottom and deck) and dark grey (in the rails) material is exposed under the chips. Do this kind if damage in the paint finish cause some danger of water leaking inside the board or is it only a cosmetic problem?
Old 20th January 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
carvesalot

Check out
www.boardlady.com
this will show you what the board looks like under the skin. I'm starting a refinish on a Wood Acid, but way more involved than what it sounds like you have. Being meticulis myself I would touch up even the small chips, I would think just about any paint that matches, or you could use clear 2 stage epoxy, something to seal and stop further chipping, in the past I have even used finger nail polish. Scratches first I would try to sand with a very high finish, mirror fine, 1000 grit or higher. Ace Hardware or like would sell it by sheets. Remember that any repairs that are visible are going to effect resale.If you touch up with paint lightly sand the area first, if its large then use primer first.
Sounds like a cosmetic problem for the most part but could develope into something you'll see on the boardlady site. Drag it in a shop if in doubt for a 2nd opinion.
Cheers
Old 21st January 2008, 12:26 AM   #3
steveC

I more recently completed some significant repair work on two of my boards, and I can say that the BoardLady's site is a wonderful resource and guide that includes step-by-step photos of different repair processes. On top of that, she's very attentive to E-Mail questions about any details that might be unclear to you. If you provide some digital photos of the damaged areas, I'm sure she could offer some advice to ensure you take the correct repair path.

Regarding paint, a critical thing from an appearance standpoint is getting a good color match. The BoardLady uses an airbrush process for paint repairs, but that kind of tooling investment, to include the learning curve to ultimately achieve a good result, might be difficult to rationalize.

In my situation, I initially contacted the board builder, Mike Zajicek, and asked what he recommended. He said I could achieve a fairly good result using Krylon High Gloss White spray paint in a can. The BoardLady wasn't very keen on the Krylon product, indicating from her experience that it could ultimately lead to some chipping and possible yellowing over time.

So, initally I attempted to use an older Z-Spar enamel spray paint that I already had but never used. Big mistake, as the color was all wrong, so I stripped it off. In the end I used the Krylon product. The color match was very good, and I'm quite happy with the result. If it yellows over time, my thought is that can always sand it and hit it with a fresh coat of paint.

Last edited by steveC; 21st January 2008 at 12:29 AM.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote