Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd January 2008, 12:18 AM   #1
seasharp

Default Futura. Which size?

I currently sail an AHD Free diamond 70 (129 litres) as my larger board with 8.5m and 7.0m sails. I sail mainly on a gusty lake and weigh 74kg. What size Futura would be best for me, 122 or 133? I want the board to plain as early as the AHD but go faster.
seasharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:54 AM   #2
crazychemical

the 122 is good but you have to get one or two extra fins to sail the sails u want. The 133 has a very good stockfin with it and will plane a bit earlier in lower winds. The 133 has a bit more speed in the end but it will get going a bit more slowly i think.
for your weight 122 is a bit more ideal as you'll have less acces volume.
hope it helps
Old 22nd January 2008, 03:03 AM   #3
seasharp

Yes, I was expecting to use more than one fin. I currently use a 42 and a 36.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:09 PM   #4
GEM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychemical View Post
The 133 has a bit more speed in the end but it will get going a bit more slowly i think.
Why do you think the 133 has a higher top end? That would be nice, since I put in my order for a 133, but I would expect the 122 to be quicker. Or did I mis-understand you?
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 04:32 PM   #5
crazychemical

to Gem: woops, typo, i meant to say the 122 has higher top end if you use it with the same sails as on a 133. The 133 will plane earlier though and have a smoother ride is low winds.
to seacharp: i don't think a 42 would cover it. You'll need an extra 44-46 for the 8.5. The 48 slalom fin of the 133 (the R13 totally sweet fin)would cover almost the entire range you sail, i think.
Old 22nd January 2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Revpod

Actually I recon you want to go for at least the 133 - early planing is a function of width - hence why formula boards are so wide - so if you want a board to plane as early as possible you want a wide board - I in the same position as you went for a 144 - (I have a 114 eagle as a change down board) to maximise TOW and early planing as to speed no one can really keep up! I too used to have a AHD Free Diamond 70 - believe me the Futura is a totally different league!

The 144 also comes with a good 50 cm fin perfect for use with an 8.5 - I also have a 40 cm fin - which I use with the 7.0:

Hope this helps!
Revpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 06:20 AM   #7
Chris Pressler

Hi Seasharp,
go for the Isonic 122. The shapes are thinner. The board will give you exactly the lift you want carrying sailsizes in 7,0 to 8,5 around.
Have fun,
Chris Pressler
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:44 PM   #8
seasharp

I'm going to have to buy an extra fin anyway because mine don't have two bolts.
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:50 PM   #9
seasharp

Chris, I have tried an Iso 122 and for lake conditions it's not much fun because they are designed to be powered up all the time. I also think you have to be a very advanced sailor to get the most out of them.
Old 24th January 2008, 07:35 AM   #10
GEM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasharp View Post
Chris, I have tried an Iso 122 and for lake conditions it's not much fun because they are designed to be powered up all the time.
Yeah. High performance production raceboards are NOT biased for 1) fresh water (i.e., less dense than sea water), and 2) gusty winds. The proper adjustments for inland sailors are slightly wider boards with more volume (and bigger sails sized for lulls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasharp View Post
I also think you have to be a very advanced sailor to get the most out of them.
Well, having such a board and working to learn how to make it SING is how you get to be advanced! So it's not to be dismissed without thought. In such a sailor, choosing the iSonic, I'd recommend Technora > Wood.

In my case, I was debating the iS122 vs the F133. There was some rationale for an F144...but I decided that was just too big for a 70 kg sailor.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote