Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th January 2008, 06:14 PM   #1
ste

Default Starboard and Gaastra

As on your Home Page right now: "Dream team Kevin Pritchard chooses Gasstra Sails".
Does it mean that Gaastra (one s only) and Starboard are now the same company?
What happened to Severne? Not anymore in the Starboard group?
Best regards
ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

No its just a new report that Kevin P chose Gaastra as his new sail sponsor. No mergerings of companys or anything.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Unregistered

I would like to ask if there is anyone who actually believe that this is the true story: KP leaving mauisails, then testing all other sail brands, and then choosing the best one - gaastra???

It is more then obvious that he got a deal ($$$) with gaastra way before he left mauisails and that all this "sails testing" is just marketing bullshit.

It is a great marketing idea, but really very unprofessionally executed.
Old 29th January 2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Ken

Unregistered,

Your speculation only speads rumors. We may never know how the situation played out, so why guess. Kevin did what he thought was best. It's his business and now Gaastras.

I speculate (oops, I guess I shouldn't do that) that Kevin probably had a good deal at Maui Sails and was happy with the sails and their performance. However, if I was in his shoes and saw the opportunity to get a bigger pay check, I would "test the waters too". None of the pros are getting rich in this business, so finding a better deal is probably something they are always thinking about.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 02:05 AM   #5
Bill

Default Confused

I was amused at the idea of Kevin testing a few sail brands.

I was even more amused when he said he liked the Gaastra Manic. It was then that I guessed he was headed back to Gaastra.

To leave Gaastra to go to Maui Sails and then leave Maui Sails to go back to Gaastra has left me confused. What next?
Old 29th January 2008, 02:43 AM   #6
Floyd

Its simple really. Best sailors in world can go where they want.Its his business wether it was sail performance; pay or loyalty. No doubt at some stage he`ll go alone on something. Pritchard Sails ??? Pritchard Customs ???
He`s been great for SB and sailing.No doubt he`ll continue to do so.
Good luck to him.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 04:29 AM   #7
Bill

Default No room at the inn ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Its simple really. Best sailors in world can go where they want.

I disagree.

Do you honestly think that Kevin could have gone to Neil Pryde for example. Antoine Albeau dominating racing and Kauli Seadi dominating waves.
Old 29th January 2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Unregistered

Make it GAASTRA and not GASSTRA on you home page .I no Knut is German but WWII is over So no more GA-SS-TRA
Old 29th January 2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Unregistered

That huge banner on the home page is weird... almost a call to action to a competitor website.
Old 29th January 2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That huge banner on the home page is weird... almost a call to action to a competitor website.
Well, if you follow the site for a while you will see that that part of the web page is devoted to different kind of news that are more or less related to Starboard and its riders. It is often reports from competitions that are written by other people and not particularly Starboard oriented. I think this is a nice an "extrovert" way of welcoming people to the web site. Each and every thing on the site need not be so very 100% commercially oriented.

I'm not really involved in the designing of the site, but as I see it, it is partly commercial but also partly service oriented. With that distinction, the new section is probably more service than commercial.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote