Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th February 2008, 11:20 AM   #31
Tosser

NP will never answer you directly. I had the age old problem of the luff tearing, and seams falling apart. After many posts on the old NP forum, not once did any direct representative from NP give an answer, only the odd distributor. And not once did any of them admit to a fault in the sails...oh no... it was all my fault according to them.

Vote with your pounds, dollars , rands whatever, buy other brands. I went over to Ezzy - 3 years ago. When I initially got the sails, I was battling with rigging. Emails were sent to Dave himself...surprise, surprise, he answered everyone promptly. And no the luffs do not tear or seams fall apart!

NP is just a cheap make of sail with a huge amount of marketing behind them..forget them...go elsewhere.
Old 12th February 2008, 09:10 PM   #32
GS_NPUSA

Tosser,

I understand the frustration some people have regarding past warranty issues and/or response on technical inquiries for NeilPryde. I don't expect to change the world's perception of NP for these individuals overnight with one forum thread either. In my opinion, if the distributor is doing their best to support the retailer and/or the end user in their respective markets, the communication should stop there.

In our case we have a staff rooted in windsurfing. Each of which have been involved in the sport for over twenty years. I personally have great familiarity with all the products dating back several years and a great line of communication with our development team and international team riders if any inquiry is over my head.

As far as warranties go and as I stated in my earlier post, it's my feeling NeilPryde relies on us as a distributor to validate claims, take a proactive approach to servicing their/our customer and keeping them on the water.
My goal is to provide just this type of service for our respective markets through Adventure Sports.

It's understood people have choices and there's allot of good gear on the market. I have tremendous faith in the performance and quality of the product personally and hope to prove those that have lost faith in NP wrong. If I stand to be the whipping boy for a time, so be it. In the meantime, enjoy your time on the water, whatever it is you're riding. This is what it's all about in the long run anyway.

Kind Regards,

Garrett Scotti
Adventure Sports
Division Manager
NeilPryde Windsurfing / JP-Australia
GS_NPUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 09:52 PM   #33
wk

Hi guys,

My dealer offered to replace the top piece of the X9 ultra out of his own goodwill and not Neilpryde. This is because I had over the past 2 years bought 1) 7.8 RSS 2) 2 X9 booms 3) 7.2 RSR 4) 5.7 Hellcat 5) 490 X6 6) 400 X6 wave and 2 MXT extensions amongst other NP products. Well I am sure not going to support NP anymore!
wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 09:54 PM   #34
wk

Oh and I forgot to add the 460 X9 Ultra! Go figure how much moola I have spent on NP gear in 2 years and this incident really pisses me off! I am not a sponsored sailor btw
wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 10:16 PM   #35
GS_NPUSA

Thanks for the feedback 'wk'.

This is the exact situation where I feel the dealer and distributor should have worked out a reasonable solution for a customer such as yourself, who appreciated the products, and perhaps once had a loyalty to the brand. Further to that point, sometimes the good folks in production just need to hear an elaboration of the facts to turn their position around. That's my job! These facts have to be appropriately relayed from the customer to the dealer and to someone such as myself that can put those wheels in motion.

The reality is unlike yourself, there are many that submit claims that are less than valid. We help weed through those claims and give the brand direction because we know our market and our customers best as their supplier.

Best Regards,

Garrett Scotti
Adventure Sports
Division Manager
Old 13th February 2008, 05:13 AM   #36
AlexWind

One last thing Mr. Garrett, I really don't want to abuse of your patience (and kindness: after all you're not obliged to came here and talk directly to customers as you're doing. For this I thank you again) then I won't bother you again I promise :-)

Try to think for one single moment as you were not the division manager of NP but a normal windsurfer (if a windsurfer can be "normal" but that's another unending theme..).
Or simply a customer in general.

Now, one day for all hypes and for testing, results, beauty whatever you decide to go to a Porsche saloon, ok?
All shiny new stuff, but you want the best: 911 GT2!
Outstanding product, air cutting device, beautifull, top technology, top performance, and of course top price!
Now, you sign, you pay and before you go out the dealer tells you: "You'll for sure be happy with your car sir, hear at the engine roar, look at the tyres, you won't have problems couse we take huge amount of tests on it and.. uh of course.. guess what.. 6 month warranty.. Have a nice drive!"

Now, of course that's a that's a joke, I hope I haven't offended anyone but that's (in small of course..) what is NP STILL telling the customers about their top products...
Do you honestly think it's fair, not reasoning by NP employee of course?

Last edited by AlexWind; 13th February 2008 at 05:16 AM.
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 06:11 AM   #37
GS_NPUSA

Default NeilPryde Windsurfing

Alex,

I get where you're coming from. I really am just a normal windsurfer. I started with Adventure Sports in that vain alone. I've been sailing for a long time. For many years using a mix of brands, usually local. Anything I could get my hands on really. It wasn't until I met some of the guys at Adventure Sports several years ago that I even considered working in the industry.

Now my love for the sport has always been there. I had seen all the hype coming from one brand or another, but the truth is after sailing so many different brands over the years I was given the opportunity to try NeilPryde gear and fell in love with it.

As far as the response from our production team, as I stated earlier; the way I see it, the communication between the brand and the consumer should stop at the distributor level. Policies on high end, high performance race equipment will be restrictive. These 'guidelines' and policies do have exceptions and it's my job to convey to the brand when the exceptions apply.

Not to mention, (whether they like to hear it or not, and I'll probably get a slap on the wrist for saying this) the guys in production might not be the most savvy individuals when it comes to dealing with people at the grass roots level. They have deadlines, projections, quota's to meet... not to say they aren't windsurfers, but I have the stoke of a 20-30 knot multiple session Sunday spent on the water with my closest friends and many old school folks that watched me grow up who are still on the water at home to ground me.

Yes, it's a business I know, but I can tell you that with any brand especially at the distributor level, it's not entirely unlikely, that guy or girl on the other end of the phone with the dealer or the end user is just like you; frothing at the mouth for the next sign of wind coming to his or her local spot, hoping to get out for a dawn patrol before work.

I hear you and I know... I'm simply trying to show that NP is not a big conglomerate of corporate entities. It's starts at the core of us, the sport that drove us to this point and into the industry. If we're hear discussing it it's because we're windsurfers.

Thanks for lending your ear (or eyes as it were) and for your pointed inquiries Alex.

All the Best,

Garrett Scotti
Adventure Sports
Division Manager
Old 13th February 2008, 07:19 AM   #38
Unregistered

Just want to say that i know how WK feels. I used to only use NP sails, from the first RAF wave sails to my last VX2 sails.
Over that time i came to the conculsion that the brand was more about a marketing machine. Every year the sails were said to be 10% faster, so after 5 years, was i going 50% faster, well actually no.
Every year i changed out my sails, every year i needed new masts for those new sails.
Either different carbon content, different length, different stiffness, different bend, different diameter so that the cams did not fit, in fact any reason they could find to make me part with more money. Progress some would say.
Later i realised that year by year the quality was getting worse. Sails that felt good at the beginning, started to loose the feeling after a few months and really felt bad at 6 months. Stretching NP would say.
Over that period i had episodes of breaking masts(many), breaking booms, mono film breaking on the leech, breaking extensions and did i ever get a warrenty...........never. Seems like it was always my fault or wear and tear.

So one day i tried a sail from another well know sail manufacturer and to my surprise the sails were actually better in terms of peformance and quality.

The love affair ended.

Today NP still continue to have great marketing and can afford to flood the racing arena with their products.

WK, look around, there are many other as good or better performance products out there with a real warrenty support behind them.
Old 13th February 2008, 07:46 AM   #39
GS_NPUSA

Default NeilPryde Windsurfing

Only a couple to things to say on this one.

1. They Listened
2. Entirely new design and development team from the time you refer too.
3. Great advancement in the materials being used for the actual production of the sails. Again, great advancements have been made on this front in recent years.
4. No redesign on rigs and components, including freeride masts intended for recreational sailing for several years running. (other than specialized race products as needed of course)

As far as warranties go; please refer to my earlier posts.

Kind Regards,

Garrett Scotti
Adventure Sports
Division Manager
Old 13th February 2008, 11:29 PM   #40
Ken

Guys,

I am not supporting Neil Pryde with these comments, but I think it applies to this discussion.

The design and technological advances made in windsurfing over the last 20 years is amazing. The top sailors / racers have demanded the fastest, best handling, most efficient & powerful equipment possible. Durability hasn't been much of a concern since the sponsored as well as the non-sponsored top riders turn their equipment over every year. There has always been competition between manufactures for the "best" equipment, so everyone designs their gear on the cutting edge of durability (a lighter mast will be faster, but less durable).

This kind of thought process has its advantages but it can come back to bite you as is the case with the Neil Pryde masts.

The big problem is with the average "joe windsurfer", who wants the best possible gear, but is unhappy when its durability doesn't stand up. When I buy the newest racing equipment, I know that there is some risk with durability and I accept that risk. Am I unhappy if something breaks? - you bet, but I am not pissed at the dealer, distributor or manufacture unless they don't stand behind their warrantee obligations.

Carbon formula masts have always been a problem, but some are trying to find a solution. Maui Sails for example have "beefed up" their SRS 100 masts so that breakage is less of a concern. The trade off is a heavier mast.

It's all about choices, some will make you happy, some won't. As consumers, we have to decide who best meets our needs and then buy their products.

Last edited by Ken; 14th February 2008 at 03:16 AM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote