Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th February 2008, 06:36 AM   #21
Unregistered

Ken
Many peoples perception of longboards come maybe like yourself, from many years ago with the good old 7.5 rig.
I agree that the sailing was not very exciting in less that 10k and a formula is above 10k.
But as I suggested, with todayís modern raceboards and suitable 9.5 or even bigger rigs, itís a whole different experience.
Even in sub-planning conditions these boards are fun. In 4 or 5 knots you can be hooked in, railed up, with board speeds above 10knots easily achieved.
They plane a bit later than formula boards, but often earlier than big slalom boards.
Old 28th February 2008, 12:43 PM   #22
Unregistered

Default longboard confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'd like to hear a bit more about that Bic. I've noticed it did well racing in France against all other hybrids, despite lower tech construction than the RSX. There again it seems anything picked for Olympic use has to be reinforced for serious pumping use (abuse?) so would end up too porky for the rest of us. Whcih probably also explains why although the RSX rig seem to be good aerodynamically it's sure heavy. Many 10.5's feel lighter.
I too am looking at getting back into longboard sailing locally after years away from that aspect of windsurfing., but i am not sure where to throw my money and i dont really want to throw it at just anything.
I've looked at the bic , seems pretty low tech . but impressive that the thing can perform if that can believed . The RSX is getting some weird reviews, maybe weird is the wrong word how bout bad reviews . Could have bought one used, whole kit for 1500 uSD but owuld i ahve to hollow the board outr line it with carbon and fuill it with hydrogen for it to be competitive??
I gave my Mistral Comp SST away years back and traded it in for an early formula., love my formula, but they have changed alot since the 1st boards , and from a pocket book perspective i am glad i dont follow every trend id have bought 4 hulls to remain current i am sure.
the thing that bugs me is last years "hot" longboard is supplanted by this years latest greatest.
For example last years phantom longboard is shorter and less volume then either version this year. I found a 2007 used BUT for a big guy like me if i have last years everything else being equal, and race aginast this years version ( whihc a guy in my area is saying he will be buying ) can i compete?
Computers seem to be a better buy obsolescece wise!!
i take some consolation from this website http://www.lbws.com.au/lb07/
it seems old mistral equipe IIs can keep up with the lastest f-2 and starboard longboards. Howver there are some variables that are not mentioned. ie: wind strength , and weights of sailors of each set of kit.

Anyone have an old equipe 2 ??
shredulato
Old 28th February 2008, 02:23 PM   #23
Unregistered

The Starboard 380 is a little unknown at the moment. It did win the worlds, but some mods were needed from what i heard and will it be re-launched soon.
The Exocet Warp X 380 is available and unchanged, it's a real pleasure to sail this board, has a ton of volume and good for heavy weights. It also comes with 2 dagger's and the tail can be detached for shorter board speed in strong winds. It's a serious choice.

The old Equipe and Fanatic cats can still be competitive in the right conditions, but the equipe is not so good for heavyweights in light wind and the Cat would be limited by old style fins.
Old 28th February 2008, 06:59 PM   #24
Screamer

Quote:
They plane a bit later than formula boards, but often earlier than big slalom boards.
This is backed by some evidence or a speculation? I doubt they can plane earlier with less width and double the weight of a slalom.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 08:35 PM   #25
Unregistered

Evidence. You are speculating
Old 29th February 2008, 04:20 AM   #26
C249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
This is backed by some evidence or a speculation? I doubt they can plane earlier with less width and double the weight of a slalom.
If we're talking speculation (and it seems we are) then we have to accoount for the fact that
the longboard has a much faster speed in displacement mode. That allows it to go faster in light winds, and planing lift increases by the square of the speed so low-end speed is important.

And the weight of the sailor AND GEAR (not just board weight) is vital, and the extra 8kg or so of a longboard is less important when viewed against the 90kg or so of the slalom board + sailor unit.

So since the longboard is faster in displacement mode, the lift increased by the square, and the width and weight are only slightly greater, that may well be more important than weight and width. Personally, I feel a longboard planes a lot earlier (and this seems to be confirmed every time I sail one against slalom boards in marginal conditions) but since there's not a dramatic difference between fast displacement, semi planing and planing, it may not look dramatic from the outside.

This isn't attacking slalom boards, which are great to sail.
Old 29th February 2008, 06:44 AM   #27
Unregistered

NP are changing the board,I dont know for better or worst
the last four year cycle changes where made to the rig.
now its the boards turn

the 49er is changing aswell it is getting a full carbon mast and new mainsail

its a pity the finn and 470 didn't constantly evolve instead they are like opening time capsules. Ha Ha
Old 29th February 2008, 09:12 AM   #28
Unregistered

Cool low carb weight loss and beer alternates

Quote:
Originally Posted by C249 View Post
by the square of the speed so low-end speed is important.

And the weight of the sailor AND GEAR (not just board weight) is vital, and the extra 8kg or so of a longboard is less important when viewed against the 90kg or so of the slalom board + sailor unit.
one of the main points weigh all upkit and sailor is key.
that being said ., years ago me and a friend discussed a strategy to lighten optimise our kits ( him an Equipe myself a Comp SST) after being regularly horizoned/ killed by the local 90 lbs weakling on light airs races.
After some brainstomring and checkin the bank account or lack thereof, we put our heads together and realized instead of lighter equipment at premium prices, it was better for us to just lose weight.
plain and simple.
So we went on low carb diets: stayed off the nachos and beer, switched to tuna salad and vodka tonic and lime,.
One big problem ,which any beer drinker funds out when they try hard liquor. Beer drinkers are used to consuming "volume". being a Canadian and used to drinking large volume of beer the vodka route turned us into annialated drunks.
We lost weight but lost our ability to sail.

so the best laid plans of mice and men or rather thirsty Canadians had gone awry.
Old 29th February 2008, 10:25 AM   #29
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
The RSX and the the older Mistral class haven't done much to build competitive windsurfing world wide. The Olympic boards have never been very enticing for the masses and pretty much remain specialized boards for a limited number of racers that want to be able to race in light wind conditions.
Ken,

Correct - throw away the RSX.....but

The only boards that kept the numbers up in windsurfing world-wide were the original Windsurfer and then the Mistral OD.

You are in dream land.

I look forward to the Beijing pumping competition, where your pumping technique will make you win.

Are we windsurfing or pumping. Just check the annual wind averages at Beijing.
Old 29th February 2008, 05:19 PM   #30
Senor steveromagnino

Quote:
NP are changing the board,I dont know for better or worst
the 49er is changing aswell it is getting a full carbon mast and new mainsail

its a pity the finn and 470 didn't constantly evolve instead they are like opening time capsules. Ha Ha
49er is a skiffy type boat, so would benefit from improved technology; plus of course the earlier versions were prone to falling to bits.

On the other hand, the Finn is the only heavyweight sailor's option, and while it has also included fancier sails, lighter masts and so on, the reality is the hull shape is old school heavyweight.

They are a fantastic class representing most of what the olympics is about; for people wanting speed there are 49ers and boards and there used to be the tornado. Surely the olympics is not only about the latest and greatest...otherwise we'd have:
- musto skiff big man boat
- moth foiler medium size man boat
- 49er or better still an R or 12 2 man boat
- tornado or F18 cat
- Shaw 650 with wires or similar keelboat/sportboat
- various windsurfing appliances

I don't see this is particularly close to what the olympics should be about. Long live the finn. Unlike the Yngling it is a beast of boat that I am not man enough to sail.

Windsurfing is somewhat unique in that the gear doesn't last more than a few years anyway, sometimes less than a year, and is relatively cheap. So if any class should go through updates, then windsurfing is probably it. Race ready tornado giong around the world....forget about it, you could run 2 or 3 board campaigns for the cost of the container!