Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 28th February 2008, 12:54 PM   #21
mitchiedog

thanks Roger, appreciate your help. Yes when i saw the video i was a bit surprised how tall i was standing also. Funny how what you think you're doing is quite different to what you are doing.
mitchiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 07:26 PM   #22
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Mitchiedog,
Yes, video can reveal what's really going on in painful detail.
If you stand that tall all the time, it's pretty clear that you probably have never really experienced the amount of support your rig can provide, and since you don't have it fully raked back and you aren't getting all your weight on to the rig, you also probably have never experienced what full mast foot pressure can do.
You are in for a major change in paradigm here.
When you get out again, try to get the rig all the way back to where the foot of the sail is parallel to the water (or the deck of your board).
You are going to have to really concentrate on making the board flat to the water (rail to rail or the "roll" axis) because as you bring the rig back more, any upwind rail down situation is going to make the board "crank" upwind in a heartbeat.
If nothing else, try to start off with your board going further downwind.
That's not going to be a probolem becuase we have established that you can get back upwind real easy.
Also, try the inboard footstrap positions as being a bit closer to the center of your board can help you to not rail the board so much.
Ultimately, you will probably want them outboard, but until you get beyond the current issues inboard might be alot better.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 10:47 AM   #23
Ellen Faller
Dream Team - School

Hi again,
There is nothing quite like seeing yourself from another perspective! I can well remember my first, 10th and 50th revelations by video. It really helps.
I agree with everything that Roger said. And, being female, I can't help adding one more thing. In the techno-speak of windsurfing, we talk about the "center of effort" in the sail (the focus point of the sail's "power") and the "center of lateral resistance" (the focus of sideways resistance). When sailing in non-planing mode, and/or with a centerboard down, you go straight by having the CE over the CLR, to steer downwind the CE is leaned forward of the CLR, and to steer upwind the CE is moved aft of the CLR. Basic stuff.
Once you get up and planing, and without a centerboard, the sides of the board and the fin become the CLR and are thus farther back on the board than they were when the whole board was in the water. A common problem is that sailors progressing through this stage are used to thinking of sheeting in as being what increases the speed and the transition to planing. However, one must still remember to balance the CE over the newly farther back CLR. If you don't begin to rake the rig back as you pick up speed, you end up sort of balancing forces but at the expense of ease of sailing.
By moving the mastfoot back, it will help balance the CE and make the sailing more comfortable and easy. You will plane more easily, and be able to lean back against the pull of the rig more effortlessly. Additionally, the mastfoot pressure will be more effective as Roger has pointed out so well.
Move the mast back a bit at a time so that the differences won't be too extreme, and so that you can really begin to feel the difference.
keep up the good work,
Ellen
Ellen Faller is offline   Reply With Quote