Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 15th January 2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Pål

Smile Where to stay on Maui in March?

Hi there! My small family and myself are going to visit Maui for 14 days medio March. Any good input on where to stay? Main purpose of the trip is of course to windsurf, but the stay is pretty dependent upon a "liveable" accomodation for "the rest of the family as well..."

Guess we are looking for a guest house, cottage, etc.

Any tip is highly appreciated.

//Pål N-300
Old 16th January 2008, 03:10 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Despite the County attempts to wipe out vacation rentals around the North Shore, there remain many options. A lot depends on what you and your family want/expect in terms of location, as North Shore Maui is dream, but strangely not every tourist's idea of Maui either.

There is a massive range of condo/apartment/hotel accom on the South (Kihei) and West (Ka'anapali) sides - it's not so close to the North Shore action - but for non windsurfers, it's probably more like what they got in mind/expect. Kihei side can be good sailing anyway, and the drive to the North is doable. There's a lot of windsurf visitors (mostly those with "rest of family" in tow) who stay Kihei side.

If you're more into the local North Shore scene - and dont need to live next to a mall - then there are still some valid options.

Kuau Plaza (Rental Manager : Ken Yamamoto (808) 579-8080 ) offers good budget accom as close to Hookipa as you can get, or if you're looking for a classy North Shore option, check out the "Starboard House" in Kuau / manager Anne Barber ( 808-870-3481). There are definitely some slots available for some March dates, but be quick, as with they are filling real fast..

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Unregistered

Unhappy vacation rental situtation

hey Ian are those places legal??. what i mean is identifying them on the web may be what the county is looking for, then the county serves them with a cease and desist order.
I have heard it happening, supposedly the county is searching on one database for places still renting.
i have booked with someone but wont say, who is close to kuau. i may lose my booking of the county comes a knocking.
the only good news was that the owner stated that they get along well with the nighbours and as such there are no complaints. The previous place i did stay at in kuau last spring told me a month ago they are still renting BUT they have long term rental palces aroudn them that dotn complain either.

i hope it all blows over BUT, it will stay as an issue till this county admin changes.

shredulato
Old 21st January 2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Shred,

Both fully legal, operating correctly zoned and permitted
and under no threat from the County.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Unregistered

Shredulato,

You don't seem to get it brah, you are conspiring to commit an illegal act - so be prepared to suffer the consequences. Despite the highly vocal minority opposition and political pressure from the Maui Vacation Rental Association, the County actually has overwhelming popular support when it comes to enforcing the zoning laws on the books. The MVRA's legal claims against the County have been summarily dismissed in federal court - they are baseless.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Warm aloha, from the North Shore of Maui.
Old 21st January 2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Unregistered

Wink aloha that is anything but

A warm aloha ....cold LOL sounds like you work for the county..or the man in some way shape or form.
Auntie Aloha might want to keep the northshore safe for outsiders who may seek ways to pay off the mortgage, not something i would agree with myself, but she is also effecting and shutting down the ka mahina trying to make ends meet.

Such nice aloha, teeth and all .
shred
Old 4th March 2008, 03:47 AM   #7
Unregistered

Don't you guys get it? Illegal vacation rentals are ILLEGAL. Against the law.

While they DO offer budget accommodation for a few visitors, their net effect is to drive up rents and real estate prices - the cost of living - for the people who actually live here.

The ONLY people on Maui who are PRO illegal vacation rental are...wait for it...the ones who are making all the tax free money off it. DOH!

There are plenty of nice LEGAL places to stay. I have no sympathy for a bunch of whiney carpet baggers, and I can assure you, they are doing no favors for the Maui windsurfing community with their calls for 'solidarity'.
Old 4th March 2008, 05:16 AM   #8
Unregistered

Thumbs down The Windsurfing Narc revealed?

Is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

While they DO offer budget accommodation for a few visitors, their net effect is to drive up rents and real estate prices - the cost of living - for the people who actually live here.

The ONLY people on Maui who are PRO illegal vacation rental are...wait for it...the ones who are making all the tax free money off it. DOH!

There are plenty of nice LEGAL places to stay. I have no sympathy for a bunch of whiney carpet baggers, and I can assure you, they are doing no favors for the Maui windsurfing community with their calls for 'solidarity'.
Old 4th March 2008, 05:29 AM   #9
WindKook Fight League

Talking Windsurf Sleuth vs Windsurf Narc!!!!!! Round 1

You ready (points to WN)?

You ready (points to WS)?

Let's Git It Onnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Old 4th March 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Unregistered

Default kihei

Shred here ,
i am not getting into this fight .
I am more of a free choice guy.
Hey ever been to Maui, lets face it, maui attracts MILLIONAIRES yep millionaires.
I dont mean people with ONE million dollars , they are the ones buyingi a condo in the baha . Were tlaking MULTI MILLIONAIRES . So some bloke buying property and paying it off through rentals isnt really driving prices up "island wide" get real. The people although visible are in the MINORITY.
What about the families trying to make ends meet and having someone in there renovated garage now cottage.
AND is the counrty going to close down the backyard mechanic lawnmover repair guy, he/she probaly not zoned either. well its OK until the county says its not.

But anywho each i am staying in kihei this year........
yeah kihei.
the place i was supposed to stay said they arent doing the rental thing.
if life gives you lemons you make lemonade, kihei may be nice.

shredulato