Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th March 2008, 02:17 AM   #1
davide

Default Sailing Relaxed, Kombat vs Carve

Sailing relaxed question.

I m 70Kg and might be looking for mid/low-volume 88-98 liters board that should be able to give me a relaxed ride in B&J conditions and guarantee enough floatation to rig "small".

The contenders are a Carve 2005 94 vs a Kombat 2006/2007 96/97L (or maybe 87).

Any opinion? I have a Carbon Art SL 52 for "speed" and Acid 74/Chango 65 for high-wind, so this can be a dedicated relaxing one. It will be used in BayArea/River B&J conditions.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 04:38 AM   #2
Screamer

Hi Davide

First, since "relaxed" through the lumps is so important to you, I'd suggest Kombat over the Carve.
As for size, 8x litres (x depending on model year) will give enough flotation for your weight. I use K86 (86kg, 190lbs) and it has more flotation than you'd expect. I think it will be even uphaulable for you. Take Kombat9x only if you plan to use it mostly with 6-6.5 sails.

Edit: Although I haven't been to your spot - Bay area, I mostly sail on a river. Strong currents and ugly, steep chop/swell. Did I mention gusty? You may want a narrower board when it's howling (which you've got covered), but a Kombat is a very nice ride with huge wind range. Good when it's holey, but holds its own when overpowered.

Last edited by Screamer; 14th March 2008 at 04:55 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 02:57 PM   #3
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Hi Davide

First, since "relaxed" through the lumps is so important to you, I'd suggest Kombat over the Carve.
As for size, 8x litres (x depending on model year) will give enough flotation for your weight. I use K86 (86kg, 190lbs) and it has more flotation than you'd expect. I think it will be even uphaulable for you. Take Kombat9x only if you plan to use it mostly with 6-6.5 sails.

Edit: Although I haven't been to your spot - Bay area, I mostly sail on a river. Strong currents and ugly, steep chop/swell. Did I mention gusty? You may want a narrower board when it's howling (which you've got covered), but a Kombat is a very nice ride with huge wind range. Good when it's holey, but holds its own when overpowered.
You are right, no much point to go for a Carve if the purpose is a more relaxed sailing. I have my slalom gear and in particular the Carbon Art Slalom 52 for all out overpowered sailing. The Carve was appealing mostly for its price (800+ in wood!). Volume is a bit tricky, this is going to be my 6.0-6.5 sort of powered up or 5.5 underpowered relaxed board and in those conditions volume might be important.

Last edited by davide; 26th March 2008 at 12:35 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote