Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 17th March 2008, 10:46 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default Tight Spot

Picture me, an 18 year old guy who is around 150 pounds (68 kg) and 6 foot (183 cm). I sail a hypersonic 111 from 04, and a home made board made by a local sailor (around 80 L he thinks). I sail mostly lighter winds (using 7.6 mostly) but it sometimes kicks in to be 5.8 or below. I like the custom board he made, but it is de-laminating and is the older school shape (narrow and really thick).

I need some help.

Money is pretty tight, I am graduation high school this year, so money is going towards college. I am not aloud to spend the money earned working on windsurfing... (parents do not understand :-S) I need to find a board that is a solid board for 5.8-4.1, will be used mostly for B&J sailing, with the occasional onshore or cross onshore wave sesh. Probably looking for a 2004-2006 board, as that is the only board I even have a chance of affording.

I just started 2 seasons ago, and am in love with this amazing sport and the lifestyle that comes with it. I am now starting to get into pushing myself beyond my high wind home made board. I have been trying forwards, and want to get into freestyle.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Thomas

PS -
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Charity Chump

Smile I gotta old Hypertech you can have for Fitty bucks.

Where U at?
Old 17th March 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
windsurferdagg

Ottawa, Canada...

But I was more hoping for suggestions on what board would be good. It is a tough call between the flare, the evo, the acid and the kombat. Probably have to be around 80-90 liters ideally.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
windsurferdagg

I was wondering what the evo is like for B&J. I like the idea that it would be sick for the onshore stuff I sail when the waves come. But for cruising having some fun in high wind trying forwards and maybe a vulcan or two, would it be good?
Old 18th March 2008, 02:04 AM   #5
merryfrankster

Smile Evo 70 and AB+ Wave 78 for sale USD 100/Maui

Sounds like you're at the "dr. destructo" stage of your windsurfing career... Meaning that any board you buy, you will destroy on short order, if you sail with any frequency. Don't let it discourage you. Just make it a principle to first perfect your new maneuvers on an old beater board BEFORE you try them on a brand new one. The list of things that can go wrong when you learn new moves is endless: mast striking the nose, boom striking the tail, stress/breakage from flat-landing, and that's only the start...

I have a well-used but still very serviceable 2004 AB+ Wave 78 or a 2005 Evo 70 that I can send you for $100 each plus cost of shipping. Includes footstraps, no fin. Perfect practice boards.
merryfrankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 02:18 AM   #6
windsurferdagg

Do you have an email?

Also, what is the Evo like in flat conditions?

Thomas
Old 18th March 2008, 06:06 AM   #7
James

Thomas- If merryfrankster's boards don't suit you, you should check out the iwindsurf.com classifieds. Lots of very cheap boards there suitable for highwind b&j / wave use.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/classifieds.iws

Even a fairly old highwind bump & jump / wave board from 1996 or so will probably be a lot better than what you are riding now, and will be suitable for jumping and looping and some freestyle tricks. There are some seatrend ATV boards for sale in the "wave" and "freeride" sections of iwindsurf. Those use tuttle fins, which will let you experiment with swapping fins from the hypersonic.

If you want a 2004-2006 freestyle board you will probably have to pay significantly more. Also, keep in mind that if you're getting a board for less than $150, you may actually have to pay an equal or greater amount in shipping to get it to Canada. So if you can get something locally, or have a friend pick it up for you on a trip back from the Outer Banks or something that would save a lot of cash.

-James
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Unregistered

If you can hold out till spring there will probably be a swap meet with other boardheads cleaning out their garage for the umpteeth time trying to get rid of boards they havnt used in years- check out Toronto windsurfing club for possible dates.
Bargin!
People are more stoked to see their old gear being used by someone young and enthusiastic like you than sitting in their garage for another season.
Im sure you can pick up a decent board a few years old for $300 or less.
Dont think about it as money lost but invested.
You can always sell the gear later for at least 1/2 that.
+ you get better on a newer gear!

Good luck
Old 20th March 2008, 08:28 AM   #9
James

Windsurferdaag- This is sort-of off-topic, but since you are one of the rare, independent young windsurfers, you could really help inspire other young guys and girls to try it. But whatever you do, DON'T try to teach your friends on your hypersonic, or they'll think windsurfing is way too hard. Tell them they need a big beginner board, or at least an old longboard, to learn on.
James is offline   Reply With Quote