Old 21st March 2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Grant

Default Travel warning - Margarita!

I just got back from Margarita. Here's my advice - if you're booked to go you should find a way out - if you can't get your money back then write it off and don't go and avoid the misery. This place has a major problem and I suspect the ocean water is a big part of it. My buddy and I were to be there for two weeks. We lasted one week and were fortunate to get tickets off the island after the first week. It cost us an extra $250 U.S. each for the tickets and worth every penny. Everyone who was windsurfing was sick - stomach problems - vomiting or the runs or both. This is a very tough way to lose that little extra weight - avoid this place at all costs. There's a long thread about this problem over at www.boards.co.uk in their General Forum. Apparently travel agents and windsurfing travel companies are pretending this isn't happening. Shame on them!

You've been warned! I just wish I had been.

Cheers,

Grant
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 12:22 AM   #2
Unregistered

Talking unadventures on the throne

Hmmm, is this new?? I wonder if something has changed. Perhaps they are dumping sewage into the ocean??
my buddy went there many many years ago no issues.

I have however been to the Dom rep cabarete.

When going there windsurf friends , be prepared to get anything from a minor case of "the green apple trots" ( as in : eat alot of green apples and yer trottin to the can alot) , thru and including some minor anal leakage, to a downward spiral of bowel bursting discharge and vomitus keeping you dehyrated, with a severe headache and in bed for a few days.
I was lucky after going to DOm Rep for two consecutive trips to only incur minor anal explosions . Dehyration kept in check by ample salutations of many "dos cervecas por favor!".
My poor missus howver had the embarrasing situation of a full all out gasket blowout whilst walking from the beach to the cabartesurfcamp.

It came on suddenly and with a vengence she told me, leaving her semi cripplied on the ground.
I however and much to my chagrin, while luckily avoiding this WAS Unlucky enough to have to wash her track pants in the shower. Her being so demorilized and all, from the unwanted public display of bowel blowout it was the least i could do to help her poor ego.
Poor thing.
Speaking of showers which i was , "supposely" all the cabarte sewage and grey wash shower water goes into the ocean thru a pipe, not a mile or so from cabarete beach.
Locally caught fish ....didnt taste, wouldnt taste them after that tidbit of info .... ah but i digress.
Thus i wonder about margarita.
There were plans of a sewage treatment plan close to the start of construction back then 2004 ( in carribean timeline about a a few decades away).
But even the water supply there isnt up to 1st world standards and having a shower alone and injesting the local "treated" water could give you gastrointestinal tract a peristaltic pilates workout.

but hey , if it hasnt happened to you take note, even the toughest windsurf rambo will be left mewling on the waterclosest with a case of motezumas revenge.

as to immoduim it stops the flushing but beware , stopping you body from flushing may not be the best thing as it trying to get rid of something its not used to.
Extreme flushing well i am not sure how to qualilfy that ( quantifing it is another matter best left unmentioned !!!) but at some point of extreme dehyrdration some immoduim is probably indicated.
I am howver not a doctor and i dont play one on TV ( the advice was from a doctor friend there at the time of our trip)
shredulato
I kid you not!!!
Old 24th March 2008, 02:26 AM   #3
pierrec45

The details in this thread, just charming. ;-)
pierrec45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 03:48 AM   #4
Unregistered

Just goes to show, there is such a thing as "verbal diarrhea," and some people are born with it.
Old 24th March 2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Unregistered

Talking verbose not verbal...

i like to call it verbose not verbal diarrhea,

and while all true i thought my story was kinda funny ( the wife did not)

oh well
Old 26th March 2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Unregistered

Made me laugh.
Partly because of envy at not having been to these places.