Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th March 2008, 02:15 AM   #1
jonthesailorman

Default question on the new Flare 99

Hello Team, I'm a fairly novice freestyler thats just learning the basics right now, but I'm very very excited about progressing quickly and learning new moves. I live in Florida and I don't get to see the best wind all year round and so I'm usually forced to attempt my freestyle in light wind.

So the new boards feature a wider flatter tail than last years model correct? As such they're reported to have quicker planing and faster acceleration, and this makes sense to me, seeing as how the '07s were excellent boards in most respects. My only pet peeve about them is that I felt that it was too difficult to pop at low speeds with less power and wind(< 12-14 knots), at least for novice freestylers anyway. But once powered they're awesome, and definitely one of my favorite boards.

What doesn't make much sense to me is the new constant-curve rocker featured on the '08s. Wouldn't this limit the boards early planing potential just like it does to many wave boards? I do understand the need to improve the boards pop and maneuverability, but this seems to me that it would put the board back in the higher wind freestyle category (> 16 knots).

I was considering purchasing an '09 when they hit the market but I want to make sure that my investment will pay off for most of the conditions I am exposed to. Out of the latest model years for the Flares, which year would best suite my need for a light air trick stick?

Last edited by jonthesailorman; 24th March 2008 at 02:17 AM.
jonthesailorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Comparing 07 and 08, the 07 has a flatter slalom rocker, which is really, really fast and has a good "glide", ie it gets going early also with little sail power. Very nice. But the 08 is for a freestyle board in my opinion better. Not that I'm really a freestyler, but the 08 still gets going very early and has a higher, crisper ride and in my opinion feel like it has much more pop. In fact, thinking back through the years of freesex/Flare, the increase in pop in the 08 Flare 99 is the biggest step forwards so far.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Chris Pressler

Hi Johnthesailorman,
get on a Flare 99 and you will love the board. It pops out of the water so easy, gives a great lift and works quite great at the light wind limit. I most use a 5,3, but you can go much bigger, but the Flare plans extremely easy. All what I missed in the 07 got better in 08.

Enjoy,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 11:35 AM   #4
jonthesailorman

so the new board sounds good so far, especially when its powered up apparently. my problem though is still the need for light wind performance. I generally ride sails up to 6.4 with the '07 Flare and its usually fine when powered up. The thing about it that annoys me though, is that the board truly does plane up quickly in marginal conditions, but, it takes more wind to power it up to popping and sliding speed. Its like the boards gears it has to shift through in order to work properly are spread across to wide a band. I would be happier with a board that as soon as it planed up you'd be able to pop and spin it any way you wanted. Do the new boards offer this kind of sensation more readily than the '07's?
Old 25th March 2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthesailorman View Post
so the new board sounds good so far, especially when its powered up apparently. my problem though is still the need for light wind performance. I generally ride sails up to 6.4 with the '07 Flare and its usually fine when powered up. The thing about it that annoys me though, is that the board truly does plane up quickly in marginal conditions, but, it takes more wind to power it up to popping and sliding speed. Its like the boards gears it has to shift through in order to work properly are spread across to wide a band.
That is a good description of the 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthesailorman View Post
I would be happier with a board that as soon as it planed up you'd be able to pop and spin it any way you wanted. Do the new boards offer this kind of sensation more readily than the '07's?
That is _exactly_ what the 08 Flare 99 will do. The first time I stepped on it (light 5,6 conditions) that "this board wants to pop and slide" sensation was just what I felt. I've since ridden it even with a 7.0 and is still feels the same way.

So, I'm 100% sure you will like the 08 Flare 99.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Chris Pressler

Yeaah, the new model is so thin in the nosesection and you can land vulcans without much wind, just getting speed with the help of a wave. I also like the board so much for willyskippers and loops. You start up with newschool freestyle, which means you will practice a lot on your stance, normal and switch. Especially the switch stance sailing will surprise you. It feels so easy.
You should try the FLARE 99 asap and come back with some feedback.

cheers,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com
Old 26th March 2008, 02:30 AM   #7
jonthesailorman

Thanks a bunch for the advice guys, I'll definitely be looking to get my hands on a new Flare when I get the chance then.

Does anyone have any experience with after-market freestyle fins? I've ordered up a Meanline freestyle 22cm for use with my new kombat 89. I'm also considering a MFC freestyle pro 20cm for higher wind. Any ideas for a fin for the Flare? Does anyone find it necessary to use a fin larger than 22cm? i tried a 27cm Gsport freestyle classic on the '07 and it felt awful. Because of that it kind of deterred me from using anything larger than the stock fin.
Old 26th March 2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Chris Pressler

Hi John,
I use a Drake 22 crossover or a Chocofin 22 Starfish. 20 to 24 works sweet. For experts shorter. Some guys out there, like Kiri or Taty sail with pretty small fins. Depends on skill, weight, style ...
In my opinion a 22 is a great size and if you go big in sailsize you put in the 24 production Drake.
So the 22 Meanline will fit from the size. I do not know the fin.

Cheers,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com
Old 26th March 2008, 10:41 PM   #9
jonthesailorman

Thanks for the advice Chris, its pretty cool when the pros are there to help you out.
Old 27th March 2008, 04:44 AM   #10
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi all,

The Flare 99 is a great freestyle board for beginner and pro sailors.

Wheter learning to vulcan spock or willyskipper it will be your board of choice.

with the new design you will feel comfortable and balace that it will make you go for the freestyle moves even in 25 knots wind it still feels like you are riding a small board.

The 99 can handle fin's from 18cm to 24 cm..

The new choco fin's is a awesome combinations for these boards. at high wind the 18cm will be a great fin to put under you board as the wind gets light the 20cm or 22 choco fin will be the best.

Taty Nb-9
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote