Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 26th February 2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Andrews

Thank you crazychemical!

Your advice and experience with the 139 is very useful since you weigh about the same as me. I'm just going to wait until Roger can help comparing it with the other boards I mentioned.
Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 07:54 AM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Andrews,
With only a 7.0 m2 rig, your choices are going to be quite difficult.
I'm sure the Carve 161 is much to close in performance and volume to your current GO 190.
The GO 139 could be OK (as crazychemical suggests) but the weight of a Tufskin board (when you and your GF are already accustomed to a FAST technology board) is going to be a little hard to take.
I think I'd look for perhaps another used GO (smaller like 140 liters) for your GF and get her the smaller 5.0 rig.
Since she is significantly lighter in weight, she can get going in much less windspeed with a smaller narrower board and smaller rig than you can at 90 Kg.
The smaller board will work for you right to the top of it's range (20 knots).
If you choose to go with a smaller Carve or Futura, I think 122 or 133 are the best sizes for the both of you.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 27th February 2008 at 08:32 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 10:41 AM   #13
Andrews

Thank you so much Roger.
I will get a new rig for my GF (around 5.0 as you suggest, sorry that I didnt mention that). The 7.0 will be for me as it is too heavy to uphaul for her.
Old 2nd April 2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Andrews

Got my 2007 GO 139 and I'm really hoping to try it on the water this week.
I just have a few questions:

What are the differences between the two fins (Drake R13 Rave 480 NR and Drake Shallow 410)?

On the board it says the dimensions are 255x80 cm, however the website says 250x80. Not a big thing just wondering why. This board also has a center carrying-handle and a Tiki-logo on the bottom. The 2007 website show no carrying-handle and a "Starboard" written on the back-side.

Might my board be the 2005 modell?
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Andrews,
You can use either of the fins, but once you get a larger sail (=>7.0 m2) you should find that the 48 cm Race fin gets you planing earlier and will help you to stay upwind when you are fully planing and riding "on the fin".
Your girlfriend will appreciate the smaller Drake Shallow Water 41 cm fin as it will allow her to learn to beachstart more easily and should provide all the fin she needs with smaller rigs.
She is going to have to learn to "rail" the board very quickly to stay upwind.
If she wants to sail upwind, she only needs to stand slightly off the centerline on the upwind side to "tip" the board slightly upwind rail down to allow the shape in the bottom of the board to take her upwind.
If you look under the nose of the board (or maybe on the deck near the vent plug fitting) you will find a serial number.
Send me that number (use the Private mail feature if you prefer) and I can break the number down and tell you what year and month your board was made.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:55 PM   #16
Andrews

PM sent