Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 8th April 2008, 09:14 AM   #1
jonthesailorman

Default Light wind wave fin for Kombat

I was wondering what would be a really good fin for 6.2 sailing on my kombat 89. The 25cm production fin felt a little small for it. I'm lenient toward early planing power and keeping speed through turns. thanks for the advice
Old 9th April 2008, 04:37 PM   #2
mitchiedog

Hi
I got a MFC freewave 28cm for my kombat 96. Nice fin. works really nicely with 5.7m
For 6.2 you could prob get the 30cm version.
mitchiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

25 original 25cm wave fin is a fantastic fin if you ask me, but for 6.2 its clearly to small. I like the Drake Crossover in my Kombat when I use bigger sails. The crossovers are a good combination of some more bottom end and still turn very nicely. Its a bit hard to estimate what size you would like. I sail the 28 Crossover up to 7.0 and if you're not a "big fin guy" think the crossover 26 will be enough. It will deliver a lot more planing power than the Drake Natural 25 which is very "small for its size". But if you really want to push the light wind early planing, the 28 might be the way to go.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Jean-Marc
TEAM

For true wave sailing (inboard & front straps setup), I prefer a real wave fin. The Drake Natural wave has much less surface than other fins of equal lenght. I use wave onshore wave fins that have more surface, e.g., a North Shore wave onshore 9.0" fin with a 6.2 sail or a 9.5" fin with a 6.9 sail on Kombat 86.

For freeriding and B&J (outboard & rear most straps setup), a Drake Crossover 28 cm should be fine with a 6.2 sail (the Drake freeride 30 cm is a bit big with 6.2 but is just fine with a 6.9 sail). Outboard straps setup requires much more fin power than that with inboard straps.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 10th April 2008 at 06:26 AM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 08:08 AM   #5
jonthesailorman

Thanks all for the advice. I was thinking a beefy 26 or 27cm might be what I'm looking for here. Out of all the after market fins out there, you guys have mentioned off North Shore and MFC, any others out there worth a considering? Has anyone had any experience with Meanline classic waves? My local dealer supplies Gsport, Meanline, and MFC.
Old 10th April 2008, 09:44 AM   #6
GEM

For B&J, True Ames Convert 11.8 inches
For weed, True Ames Surfgrass (check what size...off the top of my head I'm not sure).

I have NEVER been anything but fabulously impressed with True Ames. Can't say that of ANY other fin maker. Period.

Starboard makes the (not-so) fatal mistake of sending a fin in the MIDDLE of the range. C'mon! That means I have to buy a regular AND a weed at the big end of the range, as well as a regular and weed fin at the small end of the range, and rarely (if ever) use the Drake that comes with the board! I will keep the expletives to myself.

Starboard, you boneheads! Most people are buying a board that - realistically - they are figuring to use at the largest sail it will hold and hoping for the small end. So do them a favor, equip the boards with the largest suitable fin appropriate to the style of intended sailing. Go one better, and give them an option of which Drake fin to choose (or let them trade). Go two better, and equip them with a big and small fin, at the top and bottom of the range for the board.

Drake makes great fins. You are equipping boards with great fins that nobody wants; how dumb is that? Send your boards with a big and small fin, charge a little more, and things will work a lot better.

My 2c.

GEM
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Good points GEM. Some system of trading fins would be the best thing, but in I think it would be very hard to such a system working well with all importers and local shops. And if you buy from a well stocked shop that cary the Drake fins, I think it would not be to hard to arrange an exchange "locally".

And I think that if we supplied and "extreme" fin with the board, the people that just want it to work "out f the box" would complain. We used to ship EVOs with what was effectively very small fins. People complained. If we would ship the it with big fins, I bet people (and mag test) would start complaining about stiffer turns etc. Two fins would be easier to spec but guess what, when we used to supply Kombats with two fins, people complained that the small one was to small and the big one to big and that you in fact did not get a fin that worked well in the important mid range. Go figure... you can't please them all.

BTW, the Drake Crossover fin supplied with mid range Kombats is designed by Curtis and I think it closely resemblance on of the Gsport crossover fins.

JM: I also prefer a wave fin for waves. But the crossover fins actually work great for B&J style sailing with inboard strap.
Old 10th April 2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Screamer

I have a 2006 Kombat 86 that came with two fins: 24 Drake wave and 30 cm Freeride.
IMHO, a 2007 Kombat is better equipped "out of the box" with regard to typical use and range (for most people), with just one 26cm Drake crossover.
Enter Kombat 2008, equipped with Drake Natural (?). It suggests it's a pure wave board. I know it can play that role, but most sailors I've talked to, would prefer a Kombat with a crossover fin (not just "mid range" boards, even K8x and K7x also).
So my vote goes to 2007 solution, throughout Kombat range.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

There is a Swedish saying (don't know if it exists in english): "any way you turn you have your back behind you". The 24 Natural is too small, the 30 Freeride too big, the 25 Natural too wavey the 26 Crossover too middle of the road.
Old 10th April 2008, 06:33 PM   #10
PG

If you have local access to GSport fins then the Gsport B&J is a very powerful (and good) fin. I use the 26.7 cm version (the biggest of them) for sails up to 7 m2 on a 64 cm wide board. One size smaller (24 cm) should fit your smaller board well.
On the other hand, I have used the same fin on my RRD FSW 94 (60 cm wide) with very good low end power, especially for the 6.2 sail.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote