Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th April 2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Daniel B

Default Q for Ola Re lightwind wavesailing

Hi Ola !!
I Would like to know your point of view, pros and cons of the 2 possible aproaches to lightwind wavesailing ( 6-10 or 12 knots ) SUP style windsurfing and a big wave board ( kombat 105 ) considering an advance sailor ( ie not a pro !!! ).
Thanks in advance !
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Can you say something about what kind of waves we are talking about here. And is it a good sideshore spot?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Daniel B

Hi Ola
The spot is a common beachbrake, and conditions vary from dead offshore to sideshore and sometimes sideon ( and I am not interested in onshore sailing ). It is not a world class wavesailing spot, just a beachbrake and my needs of improve my wavesailings skills at any cost )) especially frontside. I would like to add I tried an old longboard ( it was not a racy longboard, but it had daggerboard and everyting ), with a 6.2 in side-conditions ... it was awful, the boards always trying to go upwind, and in that context I found it almost impossible to perform frontside turns, and the turns were in "slow motion style"; I think you get the point. On the other hand, I love surfing longboards, so I expected to experience more or less the same thing without the need of swimming ).
But, maybe my so bad experience has more to do with the board I used ( 15 years old at least ).
When it blows more than 12 knots, I prefer going out with a 85 lts board and 6.2 or even 5.3, pass the shorbrake and then surf. But as the wind gets lighter, it gets more complicated and to be able to uphaul is a bonus.
I hope this clarify my question !
Thanks again
Daniel
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. First, i never sailed a SUP so I can't give you self experienced advice on that. But here goes some thinking around the subject...

As I see it you have two options. A Kombat 105 is not one of them. If you go the windsurfing route, I think an EVO (90 or 100 depending on weight) will be a much better choice if wave riding is your priority. Particularly since you state you want to improve frontside wave riding. An EVO simply make the hardest parts of wave riding easier. So in short, an EVO is pretty much guaranteed fun in the conditions you describe.

But a SUP could still be a smart choice. Even though I'm a pretty OK wave sailor myself, I've learned stuff that was good for my sailing by stand up paddling. With the shorter more "modern" boards you can turn rather radical also in smaller slower waves. I'm pretty sure that if you liked longboarding bar the "swimming", a SUP is exactly what you look for.

And judging from what I've seen, the short SUPs can double really well as windsurfers without being at all as bulky as a longboard (through a dedicated longboard surfing SUP will surely be a much nicer experience than an old windsurfing longboard). If this sounds intriguing, have a look at the Starboard Extremist 9.0 or 9.8. I don't think they will be as radical as a big EVO, but they will take wave sailing even further into light wind territory for sure. I'm very keen on trying one with a sail myself (the SUP I currently have does not have a mast cassette).

I'll see if I can get some of the guys who has sailed the SUPs in here. Hold on.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 08:24 AM   #5
scott mckercher

Hi there
I think Ola is right
The choice is probaly between a evo 100 and the 9'8 and ot the Kombat.
Basically, I think if you could get the 100 going down the line in minimal wind in cross to side shoe, it would be more responsive with it's reaction to the lip.
However, the 9,8 SUP in very minimal winds continues to drive through a turn where the evo 100 would stop and big.
In Portugal and another spot on the south coast i oz I tried and had quite a bit of fun in cross off super light winds. Don't expect it to whip off the top or boost airs, but definitely some cruisy waveriding fun. Especially in less than perfect waves.

Hope this helps
scotty
scott mckercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 08:25 AM   #6
scott mckercher

Stop and bog i meant.
scott mckercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 07:17 AM   #7
Jonathan

Daniel, discussion on the subject on Hot Forum http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1964
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote