Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd May 2008, 07:07 AM   #1
jonthesailorman

Default some flare Q!

I had a few questions on the fare's evolution over the years. Since the '07s, how many times has the foot strap angle been changed on the 88, 99, and 110? I ask because I started experimenting with the foot strap angles on a rental '07 99 that I use often. I offset the front straps so that they're would be a greater angle than what it was designed with. I've noticed that it is much easier to go switch now, and that They're seems to be a greater level of control to me while air borne. It is however easier to get stuck in the straps in falls, and uncomfortable in most positions because of pinching. I probably wont keep them like this, but I just wanted to get a taste of how the new boards might feel.

Also, are the 110lrt flares geared more toward heavy weight freestylers? Or would they give an advantage in light wind(12 knots) for an average weighted windsurfer? What do the pros use in that kind of wind?
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Okay the 88 flare the angle of the starp positions haven't been change because this board is really good and it really easy to do double and airmoves so we kept the same board for 2008 and nothing change but a better looking color (green).

As for the 99 08 we made the board shorther in length at (239cm) with a (65 width). we move the volume more in the center and in the tail of the boards this makes the boards easy to do freestyle moves and you gain alot more balance compare to the 2007 boards, but with the 99 '08 you will enjoy more with medium to high wind because it's much more smaller and when I first sailed it in Maui you can really do all your tricks without losing balance at the end of a manuvear.. the angle have change but now it's easier to go switch stance without getting stuck.

this is the same as the 111 because the 111 is the same as the 99 but only thicker..

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 05:16 AM   #3
jonthesailorman

Thanks for the reply Taty! Its awesome to here exact details once and a while. Them coming from you, even better!! one last question, when the winds really light, like in Podersdorf right now or Bonaire sometimes, what set up would you use to get going with gusts and stuff? I saw that new video your in on youtube, the one with Ceasar, Kiri, and your brother. I can't beleave how light the wind is, and you guys are pulling shakas and all!! props to ya! big inspiration
Good luck against Gollito tomorrow!
Old 4th May 2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Podersdorf:

Sail: Northsails (duke) 5.9
Board: Starboard (Flare) 98 2009
Fin: 16cm Choco fin
wind conditions: 15-20 knots gusty
fresh water

Bonaire:

Sails: Northsails 5.4
Board: Starboard (Flare) 98 2009
fin: 16cm Choco fin
wind conditions: 15-18 steady wind

Thank you, many people that visit bonaire like our style because we make the best out of the worst conditions, regarding pumping to do a move we will do it, because we love windsurfing and in light wind is mostly balance and who has the more energy. but sure the light weight riders have advantage in light wind but sure the heavy guys can also put quiet a good show.

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7th May 2008, 03:39 AM   #5
jonthesailorman

Hey Taty, I was wondering about the new construction available for the '09 Flare? It being super light sounds really really nice but is there a cost? How durable is it compared to the regular wood construction? If the board is super fragile than I don't think it will work out to well for me.

I have to order it very very very soon if I want it by the end of the year. (witch I do!)
Old 7th May 2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi,

I don't know about prices, I am not the person to ask for this as I am team rider not the person who say the prices, maybe you can get you distributor to answer your question regarding price of the board.

As for the Carbon and wood construction, most of the people like to have a light board so before the wood was the lightest weight board in the range and now that we have the carbon i think most people will go for the carbon as it is much lighter but at the same time i would say stronger. I have tested the wood V.S Carbon in Bonaire for weeks and the Carbon is still strong after days and days of sailing on it, while the wood
decoloured like all the previous years wood construction..

Maybe we can get Tiesda or some who knows more on this to answer your question.

Taty

Old 7th May 2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

I like to Wood, because the board doesn't feel so stiff on the water.

The Carbon feel stiff and I think it will be better to have this board when sailing on fresh water lakes, because then you have a lighter and faster feeling board.

To be true with you:

I have:

flare 88 Carbon
Flare 98 wood because this is the board I use the most in Bonaire and I really like the color because some how the wood makes the boards more nicer and it's another feeling.
Flare 98 Carbon

Old 8th May 2008, 10:28 AM   #8
jonthesailorman

I sail alot of different spots but all in salt/ocean spots. They vary from really flat (my favorite), small rolling chop flat (also really fun), and onshore waves. Where I sail waves at is geared more for jumping so the I'll still be ridding the flare. I ride the wood '07 99 flare all the time so I think I'll go with the carbon to try something new. You said they're still stronger than the woods? Sounds very good to me I will be crashing a whole lot so I want to make sure it will hold up. It would be cool to get the inside scoop from Tiesda about it.

So you sail the wood mostly in Bonaire. How flat is the water you sail in there? I know what you mean about the woods being nicer to, they just have a neat thing about them. I like the colors on both of them tho, They have a sweet look now But the wood still looks more classy.
Old 8th May 2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

it's doesn't get rough conditions like with waves in Bonaire where we do freestyle.

We sure have jumping waves but then we have to go outside the reefs to get the medium jumping waves.

The only flare I use in waves is the 88 flare.

I like the look of the wood.

Taty