Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th May 2008, 02:09 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default which boards to take to garda lake / may

Dear All

I am going to spend a family week on Garda lake, starting next Saturday.

I can not take all my windsurfing equipment due to a shortage of space in my car. I am wondering if my wave board and 4.2 will I used there by any chance? I hope my family will allow me to go early mornings to Malesine too...

Your suggestion will be much appreciated.
Regards

Tomek
Old 14th May 2008, 02:35 AM   #2
Unregistered

Tomek,

We usually go in July-August. I'm not sure if the wind is different in May. I mostly use a 6m in the morning and 7-8.5m in the afternoon sailing at Malcesine/Navene. If you sail Torbole in the afternoon I understand 6-7m is more normal.

At Malcesine you'll have a light wind 'wobble' out to the wind line in the morning so you may need a slightly bigger board - I'm heavy (95kg) and usually sail a 110 litre board in the morning - others use much smaller. 130+ litres is ideal for the afternoon at Malcesine.

If a storm comes through (and they often do) you'll need smaller usually 4.5-5m at Malcesine.

Have a great week!

Graham
Old 14th May 2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Otrebla

Hi Tomek,
4.2 is a tad too small for everyday use in Malcesine. Sure, it depends on your weight, experience and... weather, but I would suggest you to rack on your car also a 4.7 and 5.3, being 4.7-5.0 the most commonly used sizes. A 5.3, in the good sunny days, might be enough even for the afternoon wind, the Ora, in the right spots (Hotel Pier, spiaggia dei maiali), near Riva del Garda - Torbole.
To sum it up:
- Peler (N) in the early morning, strong wind, nasty chop, Malcesine is the ideal spot (many spots also in the West Coast: PrÓ, Campione, Toscolano when it blows);
-Ora (S) in the afternoon, medium wind, smoother water, Torbole (or the adjacent beaches) is a good spot.
My quiver for Garda lake is: 90 lt., 4.2, 4.7 and 5.3 sails. 6.0 for lighter Ora days.
Hope this helps.
Ciao from Italy!
-a.-
Otrebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Unregistered

Dear All

Many thanks for your kind feedback; I am going to put into my quiver wave 80L and freemove 106L boards and will take 4.2 / 5.3 / 5.8 sails. My weight is 75kg.

I hope I will cover the majority of Garda weather conditions. Unfortunatelly my formula friends are not jonining me this time so my favorite formula quiver will stay at home. Ohh, I am going to take my bicycles as well so light days will not hurt that much I believe.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Regards
Tomek
Old 14th May 2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Otrebla

Dear Tomek,
glad to see you are also a bike enthusiast. Around Arco and Riva you will find some wonderful off road bike tracks, very challenging and with amazing landscapes.
See you in the water!
Ciao
-a.-
Otrebla is offline   Reply With Quote