Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st June 2008, 12:41 AM   #1
G

Default isonic '08 133 or 122 ? Help!!

need to buy the right board for Garda Lake slalom Masters Worlds in july....
..the course race will be down wind with start down to Ponale.

weight 80 kg.
sails NP rsr 9,0 - (maybe) 8,4 - 7,8
smaller board isonic 111
no experience with big slalom but race in Fw

thank you
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 02:19 AM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi G,

At this weight you can go for the iSonic 122, but it's Lake Guarda!!!

Personally I will be there and I am 85kgs and I will come with iSonic 133 and 111 with Code Red 9 ; 7,7 ; 6,7 & 5,6. But don't think I will use the last size.

Hope this can help

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 03:46 AM   #3
G

Great Remi,
today I've payed my entry fee.I really hope to meet you there to introduce myself.
The locals say that the wind will be present expecially where they want put down the course.That's why I think at the 122.Good reserve of power in fresh water.In same wind but in the sea water I would go for 111.
Problem is that I really haven't any experience with a wide slalom so I'm a bit scared for control if the wind increases.Plus I guess that the 7,8 is too little as smallest size for 133 while it's ok with 122.
Remi help me please!
Old 1st June 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi G,

Where they will put the down wind, completly on the right side near the mountain?

All I know from this aera was from 2004 and we get during 3 weeks only one day at gust at 20 knots, most of the time the wind was 8 to 15 knots.

Personally I will use the iSonic 133 with only the 9mē and use the 111 with 7,7 and 6,7.

Can be good to have the 122, but in my opinion to close to the 111. If 122 I will choose 101 for second board.

For the control the 133 is easy but yes the 122 will be more easy in gust, now just to found the balance (122 or 133) between lulls and gusts.

Hope this help to make your choice.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 02:57 PM   #5
G

hallo Remi,
yes,from what I know we are going to race down to Ponale (right side watching the lake from Circolo surf Torbole).There wind is always 3-4 knt more than usual.Probably down wind course.
The best thing would be test the 111 in the lake and understand if it works fine in that kind of condition...

thank you anyway
Old 1st June 2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Erich

Hi,

what does that mean "we are going to race down to Ponale" ? Where is your starting line? If you start near Circolo Surf then in the afternoon with the ORA you go upwind to the Ponale. Although in July the wind is quite good the ORA normally will not be stronger than 4 Bft, on a good day the ORA will reach 5 Bft.
Erich
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 11:47 PM   #7
G

thank you Erich.
The course race should have been put in Ponale area and,of course,we'll go upwind to be there with the Ora.But Ponale is more south than the Circolo,so we can say "down to". AHAHAHAHAH
Do you intend 3-5 in that area or in front of Circolo?

Thank you

Last edited by G; 1st June 2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Erich

Hi "G",

well,

in front of Circolo Surf and along the Torbole Beach the wind is at least one Bft less than it is at the Ponale (the favourite spot to go when you stay at Torbole). But even on a good (!!) day at the Ponale the ORA is in the range of approx. 16 to 18 knots. Of course there are Big Days when the ORA blows with 30 knots, but this doesn't happen very often (maybe twice in a month).
So in my opinion for an 80 kg surfer competing in a slalom race at the Lake of Garda the combo iSonic122 + 9qm sail + 7.8 qm sail should be fine. I wouldn't recommend an iSonic 111 as an only board.

Erich

Last edited by Erich; 2nd June 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote