Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 16th July 2008, 06:15 PM   #1
dominic72

Lightbulb early planing on 2008 kombat

Hi guys

I bought a 2008 Kombat 105 last month and sailed it in Porto Pollo, Sardinia, in the past week. Found the board amazing, as if I had always sailed it. She gets onto the plane early and yet is nexceptionally manouevrable and easy in handling big chop and swell. It's what I looked for.

I'm stepping down from a 135L, though, and I still need to work it out a bit to get the most out of my Kombat. I keep reading in previous postings that, to extract the Kombat's early planing capabilities, you need to have an 'ACTIVE' riding style, as opposed to easy riding (with longer rocker I guess) boards.

Now, excuse my ignorance (I've only 2 years of windsurfing experience after all :-) but what does this exactly mean? I thought I had to increase mast foot pressure and pump the sail, especially when caught in a lull or when the wind is too light and I still want the board to get rising onto the plane. Pumping actually does work. But in a posting from OlaH I read I have to 'get back' and use some technique. Is there something I'm missing here, not being an expert wave sailor?

Can anyone explain any further? I'd really appreciate, cheers guys

Domenico from Tuscany, Italy
85 kg
use a 5,4 NP Combat and a North Sails Duke 6,4 which works great on it
dominic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 06:20 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

The 08 Kombat is still rather easy planing and works well also without any special "tricks". Its just when you use a big sail and want to extract the very last bit of early planing that some tricks can be in order. With the bigger sail already weighting down the nose, the kind of pumping you describe might bog it down to much so that you get to much (curved) nose rocker in the water. A better way is then often to find a slight downhill on a small wave and use that to get planing. Personally, I always put my front foot in the strap first (before planing), look for a small wave/chop to go down and then do a few (or even a single) pump at the same time as I balance the board at the front foot. I use the back foot more to stabilize the board from moving with side-side or up-down with the pumping.

This is something that is rather hard to explain, but it comes natural with some training. Maybe you are even doing it already without noticing. Again, at least for me, the trick is using the front foot, which need to be put in the strap early.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote