Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 25th July 2008, 12:51 AM   #11
Mike T

I agree with Raffig right on the money! Rob why would the Pros want to use steroids to pump up and look like some bodybuilder out racing a sailboard that's not what a sailor needs.You need flexibility and strength but not huge steroid induced muscles to be a pro windsurfer. Rob you need to watch some of the shows on Fit Tv Insider Training staring Robby Naish,Dave Kalama and Laird Hamilton hosted by Gabby Reece. This will give you some insight on what these guys do day in and day out to be on top of their game. Hats off to the Pro's for keeping the sport alive and well! So Rob watch some video and then get off the computer and drag a log thru some sand at your local beach! Warm Winds Mike
http://fittv.discovery.com/fansites/...deo/video.html
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 06:10 PM   #12
RobSwift

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffig View Post
RobSwift,
I am afraid that you are missing the point completely...There is no sense in comparing drug testing between pro cycling (mainly endurance-based sport, which benefits greatly from EPO/blood enhancing drugs) and pro windsurfing (mainly a skill/technical discipline). Although windsurfing at pro-level is also incredibly physical demanding, drug intake is irrelevant to have a competitive advantage. Same applies to many technical/skill-based disciplines: skiing, gymnastics, etc.

Also, A. Albeau is far from having the appearance of a steroid-pumped body, such the one shown off by 100m sprinters. He is a big guy, very strong, but more on the "chubby" side. Same can be said of others, as Micah or Finian. I have seen him a couple of times in the PWA Costa Brava contest and he does not look that impressive. What is really impressive is his sailing...
First of all, I am not missing the point. I am bringing up an issue in professional sports, not comparing cycling to windsurfing. Steroid use can enhance muscular development, but it doesn't have to create the freaks it has. Nevertheless, I will defer on this subject to Oneup, a test tube baby who knows a lot more about freakish humanity than I do.
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 03:51 PM   #13
oneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSwift View Post
Steroid use can enhance muscular development, but it doesn't have to create the freaks it has.
Then how do you explain yourself, Mr. Swift? You have no muscular development and no cerebral development and yet you're still a freak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSwift View Post
Nevertheless, I will defer on this subject to Oneup, a test tube baby who knows a lot more about freakish humanity than I do.
All that I've learned about this topic has come from my observations of a certain multiple alias bozo who infests windsurfing forums spouting freakish theories about athletes and drugs.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
oneup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 05:15 PM   #14
namreh

In Belgium I know that the anti-doping team only once visited a windsurfing contest. They did test all the competing freestylers at a Belgian WIND-LESS Championship contest...

Only one 16 year old freestyler got caught, but not really on better performance doping, but something else on the doping-list... ;-)
namreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Floyd

Its insulting to suggest any particular individuals are using drugs especially based purely on results (and their build??).
Its also extremely naive to imagine drugs could not benefit folk willing to take them in our sport.
Unfortunately drugs are definitely part of every aspect of our lives.Purely to stop accusations drug testing should be routine at any level where success brings any type of finacial reward .
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote