Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th July 2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Pareia

Default Kombat wood x tecnora ???

Hi guys,

What are tha main diferences on a kombat wood and tecnora? is there any sailing diferences? wich one is stronger? is only weight the diference?

best winds,
Pareia.
Pareia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I don't think that they overall differ so much wrt strength. It's weight vs price. If you're really picky you can feel a slightly nicer flex in the Wood boards too, but that really subtle.

While a lighter board will not automatically be faster, most people will agree a lighter board just feels nicer to sail. The feel of a light board under your feet induces a certain attitude where you want to sail actively and work the board to get the most out of it. But if money is an issue (when is it not?) you will be fine on the technora model too.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareia View Post
Hi guys,

What are tha main diferences on a kombat wood and tecnora? is there any sailing diferences? wich one is stronger? is only weight the diference?

best winds,
Pareia.
Try to get an hold of the July issue of Boards UK Magazine (search online). They did a comparison of identical boards with different construction weights/material. Result? Zero performance difference in the 70 to 100L range. Only when they got to a 115L board they could detect some difference, and this only for 60Kg sailors AND it turned out that the lighter board had a flatter rocker ... (that is: what manufacturers don't tell you is that the 5% tolerance in weight extends to the shape of the board, and that differences in shape due to construction tolerances count WAY more then 1-2-3 pounds of weight.)

Do a little experiment for yourself: on your current board tie 1.0 Kg to the mast track (easy to do, maybe use one of those 1-3 pounds rubber coated weights, or some rope, or a rubber duck, it does not take much to put 1Kg on the board). And check ... you will notice ZERO difference in performance.

Last edited by davide; 2nd August 2008 at 10:34 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Well, it depends a bit on what you mean by performance. GPS speeds, upwind etc would probably be hard to measure a performance gain if you go for a lighter board, but if you're taking the feel when wave riding or ease of doing rotational freestyle tricks I think you will find a lighter board just feels nicer.

But it's good to have some perspective on it. Way back I was almost obsessed with light boards. But the last years I've ridden (wave) boards of all sorts of weights and some of my best ones have not been that light. But again, every time you step on lighter board you get a certain satisfactory feel from it.
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:57 PM   #5
mike

I too wonder about weight differences that are relatively small compared to the total (sailor, maybe wetsuit, rig & board). It would seem a couple of kg wouldn't be be noticeable. Although I don't have the tests to prove mentioned by Davide above, I would suspect that differences are noticed due to leverage (like in a mast). Therefore, the bigger the gear, the more noticeable. So based on this theory, if you added a kilogram weight around your waist, you probably won't notice. Add it to the end of your board or the top end of your mast and you'll notice a big difference.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 10:24 PM   #6
kvda

The differences in weight are very relative. Take for example a futura 101. In technora, it's 7.1 kgs; in wood it's 6.85 kgs (data from this site). The difference is 3.64%; but the tolerance is 5% ! So it's possible -not only in theory but also practically- that the technora futura 101 I've bought, is lighter than the 101 wood a friend of mine has got!

And for the aspect of durabilty, i've got boards in both constructions. Never had any damage with my isonic 125 wood or s-type 104 wood - but chipped off a piece of skin with my knee on the furura technora two weeks ago. Bad luck, coincidence, maybe, but not that much of a difference in weight and durability for me.

My rule: for bigger boards (formula, isonic in big sizes) I prefer the wood versions. For smaller ones (s-type in small sizes, futura in small sizes, kombat etc) I don't bother anymore if it's a wood of technora constructed board.

But one thing, I like the looks of the wood versions a bit more. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.

Last edited by kvda; 2nd August 2008 at 10:27 PM.
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 02:29 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Mike: It matters a lot where the weight is located. This is the same with surfing, windsurfing, cycling, skiing etc. In biking fx, a rule of thumb is that 1kg on the bike feels like 10kg on the rider. The reason is that the bike moves more (under the rider). This is the same thing in windsurfing. And it also matters where on the board (or bike) the weight is. Typically, the worst place to add weight is on the nose since that moves the most when going through chop and is the furthest away from the rider. A bit heavier footstraps will not be as noticeable. On a bike, weight on the wheels is the worst.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:23 PM   #8
kvda

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
Try to get an hold of the July issue of Boards UK Magazine (search online). They did a comparison of identical boards with different construction weights/material. Result? Zero performance difference in the 70 to 100L range. Only when they got to a 115L board they could detect some difference, and this only for 60Kg sailors AND it turned out that the lighter board had a flatter rocker ... (that is: what manufacturers don't tell you is that the 5% tolerance in weight extends to the shape of the board, and that differences in shape due to construction tolerances count WAY more then 1-2-3 pounds of weight.)

Do a little experiment for yourself: on your current board tie 1.0 Kg to the mast track (easy to do, maybe use one of those 1-3 pounds rubber coated weights, or some rope, or a rubber duck, it does not take much to put 1Kg on the board). And check ... you will notice ZERO difference in performance.
i've read this issue! great article, and the conclusion seems clear indeed.
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 11:53 PM   #9
griff

Hi ola,

Sailing EVO's wood for a long time; SB is well known for their comfortable ride. They shape is the cause for this but the construction will have its influence as well. How is the ride on a new EVO Carbon Wood compared to the Wood version, I assume a more stiffer ride with or will it be about the same?

How is the waveriding performance of the EVO 08 80 compared to the 09 model? What is the main difference in waveriding of the Cwood compared to the Wood? Easier swing in the topturn, higher arials ?

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote