Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 8th October 2006, 01:06 AM   #1
Lindbergh

Default A smaller board for bigger conditions?

I enjoy this GO 170 with a 7.5 and 6.5 sail, but feel the chops are limiting my sailing when the wind gets more than 18-19 knots. The board ask to go fast while the larger chops makes the board feeling big, and sometimes I can plane the direction the waves go, but not the other. I have found a flat water spot, but the wind have to be below 18-19 knots to blast comfortable there, and the coniditons are not allways right. When the wind picks up, the chops and my board starts to fight. I can plane in both straps when in realative flat water on my 56 cm drake fin.

To increase my TOW, I would like to sail in 15-25 knots and chops up to about 1 meter, but not sure if I should do it with the GO 170. A couple of weeks ago, I tried a fanatic shark 130, got in both straps easily and felt it was much less sensitive to chops while planing. I was also surprised how easy it was to sail that "small" board, so a thank to GO 170 for learning me the tricks!! Now I am pondering about adding a smaller board for the windier days out in the ocean. I also know it is possible to add a smaller fin to the GO 170, but from reading articles, I understand it is easier to go for a smaller board.

My question: to sail in chops 50-100 cm, with 15-25 knots winds, what size/kind of board do you recommend for me? My weight is 86 kg.

My second question: how does those formula guys plane in big chops and 25 knots of wind with big sails and fins? Is it due to the formula boards beeing shorter?
Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: A smaller board for bigger conditions?

Hello Linbergh,
Yes, a smaller board will handle the chop a little better than your GO 170. but if you really get your GO "trimmed and tuned" you should be able to sail it farily comfortably up to around 20 knots.
When you get to 20 knots, then you would probably want a board around 100 liters or smaller.
Older Carve 99 or 101, Kombat 96 or 107, maybe an Isonic.
101 or 105.
As far as the formula racers go, first, they are racing, or training to race so they are willing to put up with a higher degree of "difficulty" to be fast, and hopefully win races.
So, they sail the huge sails and wide boards as this is what it takes to go very high upwind and downwind.
You may be onto the "secret" here with formula boards. The shorter length, larger fin and footstrap offset, combine to make it easier to control the "pitch axis" trim of the board.
This makes going at very high and low angles, in chop, alot easier to do.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Lindbergh

Default RE: A smaller board for bigger conditions?

Ok! I was a little surprised at the small volume you suggest, but after some additional reading this makes some sense. Did not realize 111-120 boards are considered to be "big" if used as strong wind boards.

I have learned much from this forum and your replies. Thanks for helping make an old dream become real in just one season! That's awesome, and I will now tune and practice to prepare for my next goal, the waves B)

Keep up the great work, Roger.
Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote