Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 26th August 2008, 07:14 AM   #1
glen

Smile Upgraded fin for Rio S 175L

Hi, I'm progressing from intermediate footstraps to advanced footstraps on my 2008 Rio S. I'm completely self taught and noticed that the tuning tips on the web site mentioned upgrading the fin from the 40cm Drake shallow. I picked up a G10 54cm race fin(deep tuttle) cos it was the closest I could find to the recommended Drake fin. It's arriving tomorrow. My question is do I use this new fin with all my sails? I have a 6.0 freeride, 6.6 freeride and NEW 7.6 freerace sail(yet to use). Or do I keep using the 40cm fin with the 6.0? I know I'll figure it out in time but was wondering if you could give me a heads up!! Cheers .
glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Glen,
I think you will find on a board as heavy as the Rio that the 54 cm fin will work nicely with all of your sails.
I've sailed the 2008 Rio M (the next size larger) with up to a 60 cm fin and there was
no problem with a 7.5 m2 rig on fresh water.
I sailed the Rio M yesterday with a 39 cm True Ames shallow water and had a little bit of spin out well powered on a 7.5 m2 Sailworks Retro.
So, I'm pretty sure your new fion is going to be much better that the stock fin.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote