Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th June 2008, 05:38 AM   #121
Unregistered

But if she used two sails, when the concept is for the use of just one sail, then her performance was not "proving that proposed format works really well".

The fact that she had the OD gear there but chose to sail it outside of the one-sail format may actually imply that the one-sail format doesn't work.
Old 20th June 2008, 06:26 PM   #122
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All,

To have the best performances she take sometimes the 11mē against racers who use the full FW equipment. The 9,5 works but to compare to full FW sails, it's simply a bit behind but works. That will beter an event who all have the same FOD equipment.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 12:24 PM   #123
DMal

So, after Beijing, what does everyone think about the Olympic windsurfing equipment? The RS:X seemed to provide great racing in the wind seen during that regatta. I have a had time seeing the ISAF changing the board after only one Olympic cycle that appeared to be successful.

I'm not saying that the FOD would not provide a successful regatta, but how do you convince the ISAF to implement it after Beijing?
DMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 02:19 PM   #124
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi DMal,

Their will be a demonstration for the ISAF at the Formula Windsurfing World in Portimao.

Price is really low to make it more accessible and durable.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 01:17 PM   #125
Unregistered

go to http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4359 for more info
Old 27th August 2008, 11:52 AM   #126
MantasLTU13

Default numbers in FW EU

There were some debates about numbers in FW. You can check this year FW EU championships in Poland. There were 130 competitors, about 23 Youth and 9 women. And this is independent class from Olympics, I can only imagine the numbers if FW was Olympic class. I think it would be something like double or triple the number of competitors, because current RS:X people will join this fleet and new people would definitely come to Olympic class. I think if FOD will replace RS:X then we will see really interesting windsurfing and maybe something like old times when there was over 400 competitors in the worlds.
And one more argument against current RS:X if you drop it from Olympics I know than nobody will sail it and this class will die instantly. Because it is something that is not natural it came forcibly without natural evolution not like all other classes. Look there is still some of MOD out there sailing I doubt that we will see RS:X in this manner.
MantasLTU13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 05:39 PM   #127
Unregistered

What other class has actually grown when it went Olympic?

Lots of the dinghy classes have died out (in terms of having widespread fleets) after becoming Olympic, or become much smaller. The Olympic dinghy classes normally get fewer boats racing than similar non-Olympic boats.

Remember when they said that the RSX would get huge fleets because it would get the FW sailors and the IMCO sailors together?

Why risk hurting FW?
Old 27th August 2008, 10:42 PM   #128
DMal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What other class has actually grown when it went Olympic?

Lots of the dinghy classes have died out (in terms of having widespread fleets) after becoming Olympic, or become much smaller. The Olympic dinghy classes normally get fewer boats racing than similar non-Olympic boats.

Remember when they said that the RSX would get huge fleets because it would get the FW sailors and the IMCO sailors together?

Why risk hurting FW?
I'm not sure it would hurt FW. FW is more comparable to the Laser and Radial, which had such a large recreational and racing usership that fleets actually grew when the boats became Olympic.

With FW, you have an established racing class with many recreational sailors as well. People will only drop off FW if something better comes along, but not in its current state of popularity simply due to making it Olympic.
DMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 12:10 AM   #129
Unregistered

Unless another class emerges that is faster around the race course Formula won't die. In 8 knots and above there is nothing (windsurfer wise) faster around the race course, so I don't see the enthusiasm diminishing on the FW circuit. People will always want to sail the fastest stuff. Longboard enthusiasm died out because of that fact. Formula one design is currently the closest one design class to the ultimate race class (FW). As long as it is that way, it should be very popular and not kill FW.
Old 28th August 2008, 06:09 PM   #130
Unregistered

DMal, where I am, the number of Laser sailors in the 18-35 year age bracket (ie those who have to compete with the Olympians) has dropped dramatically over the years. My understanding is that in that age group, you are not competitive unless you are a full time Olympian. It has been made up by a surge in juniors and in Masters, where the heat of Olympic pros is not a factor.

I have some old newsletters from pre-Olympic times, and the change in the makeup of the fleet is spectacular.

Division 2 boards and Raceboards had established fleets when they became Olympic, too....