Old 15th September 2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Don

Default Serenity help needed

I have a Serenity and am having trouble in turning upwind all the time. I am sailing with
the downwind rail depressed and am not pushing with my feet. I am using a weed fin
but one that other have used and not indicated a problem. I assume the mast track should
be back to facilitate sailing more downwind but it does not seem to help much.
Any Suggestions.
Don
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Don,
What weed fin (brand/model/size) are you using?
I've sailed the '07/'08 Serenities extensively with weedfins from 26 cm to 46 cm plus with the stock 70 cm wide chord fin (I don't think that fin matches the board very well) and a number of race fins in the 50-65 cm range.
If your Serentiy is turning upwind when you "rail it" lee rail down, it's doing exactly what you are telling it to do.
If you want to head off the wind a bit, flatten the board out with a tiny bit of heel pressure. The board will take off down wind very quickly. You have to be really careful with heel pressure on the Serenity as it only takes a little to really have the board head off very quickly. It will try to "roll you off" in a heartbeat.
I normally sail the Serenity is all conditions with the mast foot all the way forward in the track (per Jim Drake) as this positions your weight further forward.
Putting your weight further forward gives you two advantages.
The nose will "bite" better so you get the best upwind angle and VMG with max. water line length in lighter winds, and it keeps your weight forward so the tail does not sink when you sail the Serenity in 20 knots + with a small (4.6 m2) rig in totally maxed out mode.
The Serenity will go pretty darn fast and the bow wave moves all the way back under the mast foot, but the limiting factor is when you get "semi-planing" enough that the tip of the tail goes under the water. The board gets real "squirrely" and won't go any faster.
Some how you've decided that mast foot back will help you go off the wind, when actually the reverse is true.
Think of it this way;
The further the rig is in front of the fin, the greater the leverage the rig has over the fin to turn your board off the wind.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote