Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 14th October 2006, 11:41 PM   #11
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Hucker and mast

Hi o2bnme,
Hmmmm.... you leave your sails with the mast in, but without any outhaul when you hang them in the shade in Maine?
That would seem to me to be very hard on the mast and the sail.
Even if you release the downhaul pressure you still have some residual bend in the mast and the front of the battens is going to be pushing ou the front of the luff sleeve. This is very hard on the sail.
The mast is going to "take a set" and be permanently "bent" over time.
The luff sleeve of your sails is going to be "stretched"by the front of the battens pushing out the front.
I know having your rigs "ready to go" at a moments notice is very attractive here, but long term damage to both the mast and the sail is probably going to be the price you pay in the long term.
It only take me < 4-5 min. to rig a Hucker from scratch (maybe less, I&#39;ll have to time myself) and it gives me the ability to select the mast that&#39;s going to be best for the current conditions since Huckers give me the ability to change their "characteristics" so much depending on what mast I use.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 03:29 AM   #12
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Actually, the luff/sail has no tension on it when hanging. The mast is perfectly straight -- or are you saying that they will bend because they are being held up by the endpoints (and therefore will sag slightly)? I would think this sag would be inperceptible, yes? I would just take the mast/sail off the rope loops it hangs from attach a mast extension, downhaul, attach a boom and go.

But I keep forgetting that the huckers are quick to rig. I&#39;m used to dealing with sails that take longer to rig. And I&#39;ve never been up here for more than a week or two. Now, I get the chance to spend a month+ up here, so leaving them fully rigged would definitely do what you say.

I may just stop the practice because they are easy to rig. I don&#39;t expect I&#39;ll ever have a huge quiver of masts, but I can see a need to put a sail on a different mast depending on the desired performance characteristics I&#39;m after.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 10:03 AM   #13
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi o2bnme,
I got some VERY quality time on the 6.6 Hucker proto and the&#39;07 Isonic 101 this afternoon at the Canadian Hole.
In one word, both were "AWESOME"!
Think I was the fast guy as I passed everyone I saw, and didn&#39;t see anyone gaining or passing me.
What an incredible range this sail and board have!
Wind was from the straight west and really up and down (not gusty, just sub planing for a while, then increasing until I was ripping, then dying off to sub planing again).
Rigged for a bit more wind at first, then when I got out there I backed off the downhaul and outhaul until the sail was tuned to the mark on a new version Powerex Z-Speed 460.
Tangent 32 cm Reaper weedfin was perfect, right on the verge of letting go alot of the time, but more and more "solid" as the speed increased.
I cannot believe I was powered up on a 6.6 m2 rig and 101 liter board in only about 10-14 knots of wind.
at first the 6.6 Hucker was a little underpowered for the windspeeds, but real slippery and easy to handle when the wind came up.
After the adjustment of the downhaul and outhaul the Hucker pulled like a tugboat to get on plane, but had really good speed once on plane and the apparent wind kicked in.
I had a positively outstanding sesh!
Hope this helps,
Old 15th October 2006, 11:44 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again o2bnme,
Next time you have a "straight mast" in your sail, hanging up by the ends or laying on the graound, take a look at the way the battens and the luf sleeve "push forward" (trying to match a bent mast shape).
There will be some really odd "wrinkles" in the monofilm or X ply panels as the battens are positioned in the sail so that the front of the battens follows the curve of the front of the luff sleeve.
On a reasonably tight sleeved sail (like the Retro or Hucker) the tendancy for the front of the battens to try to "poke through" the front of the luff sleeve will cause the panels to be tensioned at an angle (as there is no curvature in the luff sleeve since the mast is basically straight).
I don&#39;t think this is very good for the sail and could cause premature wear and tear of the luff sleeve, and the front of the batten pocket nylon reinforcement.
Hope this helps,