Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th September 2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Rambo

Thumbs up Q for Tiesda; winger concept for formula???

Hi Tiesda,
It seams you did it again with the double winger concept; not looking at the other designers, but work out your own ideas of efficiency.
I shape my own Formulaboards and of course I wonder if the doubble winger concept should work on a Formulaboard. I'm sure the efficiency thing should result in lower drag = higher speed, but the huge difference in upwind racing vs. slalomracing is; you need as much as possible rail to support the fin for pointing upwind. Don't you think the wingers limit this rail effect? What are your thoughts about this?

Aloha, Rambo.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Rambo

Anyone else of 'our team' ???
Old 13th October 2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Rambo

Is there anybody who has an idea of how the formulaboard 2010 should look like?
Old 13th October 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
michelb

Send a message via MSN to michelb

Maybe gonna be an one meter Exhagon with 4 to 6 retracted fins , you even not need to tack or gybe these new boards...... just change you and your sail of position....

BTW I also sail formula and the idea of the exhagon seems to be good as a winger.....

Michel
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Tiesda You
Dream Team Designer

Hi Rambo,

The wingers made quite an important difference on the 2009 iSonic's top speed and acceleration in the gusts. Having tried boards with and without directly one after the other and seeing all our racers making the same conclusion puts it beyond doubt for me. How the wingers made this difference and if it was the step or the surface area change that made the difference is something we're continuing to investigate. It looks like both are necessary.

Anyway, we are currently trying other variations of the wingers, making them bigger, smaller, moving them forward, backwards, in iSonics, in Futuras and Formulas all the time. It's interesting and we're learning alot. We're really putting major efforts into the next generation Formula too. It's all pretty exciting. I haven't worked on a Formula design the last two years, so that's going to be really fun.

Tiesda
Tiesda You is offline   Reply With Quote