Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th October 2008, 02:43 AM   #1
Unregistered

Cool old school superslalom 275

Hi all
i have just got a very dated present from an old friend a 275 superslalom in perfect condition looks and must be fast probably 1997 model and serial number says it is the 006 board of 1997
Is there anyone old enough to give me soe hints on that board and its speed potential with todays riggs? 275/54cms

any tips from the old schoolers will be more than welcomed

cheers

tom
Old 28th October 2008, 04:01 PM   #2
geo

I used to sail similar boards. RRD 281 in '97 - '98 and RRD 278 from '99 to '05. I assume your board is somewhat the like and advice accordingly.
The 281 was a real beast, 54 wide, ultra efficient shape with thick rails in the tail and a short flat section. The 278 was a bit tamed (the shapers told me Anders Bringdal asked for that, as the 281 was too demamanding and forced him to concentrate on the ride instead of the race...), 55 wide, more curve in the outline, stretched flat section and lower nose, thinner rails with more tuck. Both fell in the groove of classic "nine footers" medium wind (by old standards) slalom boards, the 281 a bit biased towards lighter weather.
Such boards are very hard to sail compared to modern designs, but deliver incredible performances, althought in a narrow range. If you master those, you'll raise your sailing abilities by heaps, and this will prove when changing to modern designs.
Expect to be able to "actively" plane in light winds, expecially on flat water. By 18 knots you could be the faster out there in flat waters on a beam reach, by 20 - 22 you'll be screaming, by 25 in chop or waves you'll be screaming for different reasons. Tame the beast and make it to 30, it's rewarding, even if not easy. On such boards, sailing ability and fitness do much more than on modern designs.
A nice 6.6 - 7.0 will pobably have the widest range on that. The narrow tail will not let you use a big fin, so probably you'll have to rig flatter than usual. A smaller sail will help some in high winds, but don't expect much, as your problem will be to keep (some of) the board on the water, not to sheet in. Probably a 6.0 - 6.3 will be the smallest useful. Yes sail size range is probably that narrow, as is wind force range.
DO NOT expect a "de-tuned" sail to do the job just because the board is old. Such rockets are extremely demanding. On beam reaches the speed is so high the leading edge will easily collapse if not held in place by cambers and luff tension.
As said, fins have to be small and softish. Old elliptical Deboichets (todays' UpWind?) in 30 and 32 did the job for me, with 6.6 and 6.9 sails. More powerful designs such as old Tectonics Spitfires 31 and 33 didn't do well, as the power in the tip was useless with such narrow tails and soon out of control, and just slowed down the ride. In recent fins, I'd try some soft designs such as Tectonics Falcon (Vector EX, MFC SL... ?) in 30 to 34, or maybe slightly more powerful Tectonics Goldwing (Vector Rockit?) in 34 to squeeze some power out of the small board tail.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Unregistered

Cool

Hi Geo,
thanks a lot for the tips , i used to have the 281 rrd myself back in the days and i agree totally with what you said but at that time neither u nor i knew how fast we were really going but now gps tech will prove real or fake the whole idea...
Still since this is still a *board forum and the board is a *board i hope anyone remembers it ,wood top &bottom, wingers(reminds of s/g?)even concave on the mast track and special concave under the straps to help control the beast.......The point is i think this board had a production board speed record and i certainly will only be using it as a speed board so any tip and info from its past performances will be great.

Geo you seem to know your fins and i thinkk i totally agree tthanks man....
Anyone out there who has speed raced the beast?
Old 29th October 2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Unregistered

Wink

there are alot of old designs out there that are absolute rocket ships. A few examples were the old thommens, one real one dimensional shape comes to mind: mistral energy circa 1996 . All fast but need attention. Thick rails with lots of volume througout the whole board. The energy was a real one hit wonder , fast slalom board, killer in a straight line did nothing else well even passable IMHO especially gybing, the thing was a bastard to gybe.
shredulAtO