Old 1st December 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
davide

Default Isonic 111 or 122

This seems to be a recurrent question but here we go again:

I am 70-72Kg and I have two Carbon Art slalom boards for high winds and looking for a bigger board to use with my biggest sail (7.3) in lighter air. The board has to be able to float me AND take me back in sub-planing conditions (which can happen, with the 7.3).

Question is: Isonic 111 or 122? Or to put it better: how hard to sail is the 122 for a 72Kg expert but very-far-from-pro sailor?

I am used to relatively big boards, I currently have a ML about 75cm wide for similar purposes (it takes 6.0 to 9.0).

Last edited by davide; 15th December 2008 at 10:39 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi Davide,
my first suggestion is the 111. This board can carry a 9,0 as well and fits excellent with your 7,3. The 122 would fit, too, if you are looking for a weapon in very light conditions.
Both the boards are very easy to sail. The 122 is an awesome jiber. I have more than 10 kg more compared to you and use the 122. So the 111 should fit perfect for you. I had the 111 under the feet while testing and the board impressed a lot.
All the best,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Screamer

Davide

Go for 111. I use 122 for 7.3-9.0 sails, I'm 86kg. You say your biggest sail is 7.3 at the moment, so no need for a 122 unless you plan to use 9.0 a lot. I wouldn't put a 9.0 on an iS111, but at 70kilos maybe you can get away with it. 8.5 is the biggest I would call a good combo.

Btw, I think you ask too much of ANY board if you want it to be really comfortable with a 6 and a 9. Imho of course, tried and tested, possible but very far from ideal.

Edit: hey where has the small Angulo gone? (from your equipment list). Do you like your acid better after some time? We had a discussion last year, about high wind boards, and I'm glad i went for Acid74. It really is a freshwater gale board for me.

Last edited by Screamer; 1st December 2008 at 08:32 PM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 10:09 PM   #4
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Davide

Go for 111. I use 122 for 7.3-9.0 sails, I'm 86kg. You say your biggest sail is 7.3 at the moment, so no need for a 122 unless you plan to use 9.0 a lot. I wouldn't put a 9.0 on an iS111, but at 70kilos maybe you can get away with it. 8.5 is the biggest I would call a good combo.

Btw, I think you ask too much of ANY board if you want it to be really comfortable with a 6 and a 9. Imho of course, tried and tested, possible but very far from ideal.

Edit: hey where has the small Angulo gone? (from your equipment list). Do you like your acid better after some time? We had a discussion last year, about high wind boards, and I'm glad i went for Acid74. It really is a freshwater gale board for me.
Hi Screamer (and thanks Chris), it looks like the 111 is best. (Edit: Although now I am looking at the JP Super Sport 118 and it seems ideal, a bit longer, bit more volume.)

The ML is an old big course board (268x75.5) that is starting to delaminate a bit on the rail (it is a racing eggshell). The optimal sail size is probably 7.5-9.0. It does goes upwind with the authority of a Formula with a 50cm fin.

The Chango is still around, it is a great board but unfortunately it requires steady strong winds that at least last year where not there, I might sell it (it is on iwindsurf right now).

The Acid 74 is probably here to stay. It is "fast" (well ... I clocked it at 28, my best is 39 knots on the CA Slalom 52), obviously manouverable, but I still do not like it too much in very heavy chop and sub-4.2 (I am 10-15Kg less then you).

Last edited by davide; 26th December 2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11th December 2008, 03:41 AM   #5
mark h

Hi Davide
I used to have both the old Sonic 110 and 125 but prefered to use the 110 the most as it was more lively with a 7.8 and 9m. For me, its the same story with the iS111 (108 ltr) and 122 (114 ltr). I liked the iS122 but feel that it is a dedicated light wind board. The iS111 has a massive range so could be best for you. Some use a 6.7m on it, but I found a 6.8m to small so a 7.8m is smallest sail I use on it. AA used the iS111/6.7 combo on his recent English channel crossing in massive 2m swell. I'm 105kg and 192cm, so dont be put of by the 108 ltr volume, it feels much bigger in the flesh.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Chris Pressler

Hi Davide,
it should be definitely the 111. A 7,3 fits excellent. Just if you would like to sail with a bit smaller sized sail on the iSonic as well, the 101 could be a great choice,too. But could imagine. that you will restart sailing a 8,0 when having the 111 under your feet. So my first recommendation still is the 111, which has an incredible wide windrange in 2009 and carry a lot of sailsizes. My choice is 122/101. But my weight is in between 83 and 84 kg. Perhaps this helps.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Pressler; 15th December 2008 at 07:33 PM.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Waiting4wind

I'm just under 90kg and the float of the IS111 is fine for me. In fact today I used a 9m sail on it all day, ranging from 8 knots to 20.

The Supersport is a great board, but if you're used to slalom boards it may feel a bit soft, particularly compared to your CA. I even found that my IS111 felt soft after the Fanatic falcon 111 it replaced, but I'm used to it now.

You may want to try a demo first.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 01:07 AM   #8
steveC

Hi davide,

Just curious whether you've entertained the thought of having Mike make you a new board? I'm on his list right now for a lightwind board to use with my 8.3. It will replace my old 1998 ML Course Slalom. While it's still in great shape, I thought a new modern design would most likely jibe quite a bit easier and improve my windward sailing potential.

Regarding bay area's wind last season, at least based on the regular drift on iWindsurf, I was under the impression that you folks had a lot of strong consistent winds. Quite frankly, I was totally envious, as the summer season down in northern SoCal was very dismal. Actually, the absolute worst in my experience. I'm definitely planning on spending some more time sailing the bay area next summer.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 02:55 AM   #9
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Hi davide,

Just curious whether you've entertained the thought of having Mike make you a new board? I'm on his list right now for a lightwind board to use with my 8.3. It will replace my old 1998 ML Course Slalom. While it's still in great shape, I thought a new modern design would most likely jibe quite a bit easier and improve my windward sailing potential.
Oh sure, it just boils down to cost ... since this is going to be one of my least used boards I might try to get a 2007-2008 at discount. Your course slalom is probably somewhat close to my ML 75x125/130 (the tail is 56cm 30cm off!); I don't think one can improve much on windward (my ML with a 52 fin is just amazing upwind) although probably you might in respect to a 1998 board. The new big board for me should improve control in very powered up conditions, and that is why I am going a bit smaller (somewhere in the 70 x 115-120 range, but no smaller because it would overlap too uch with my CA 58/98L)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Regarding bay area's wind last season, at least based on the regular drift on iWindsurf, I was under the impression that you folks had a lot of strong consistent winds. Quite frankly, I was totally envious, as the summer season down in northern SoCal was very dismal. Actually, the absolute worst in my experience. I'm definitely planning on spending some more time sailing the bay area next summer.
Don't get me wrong, the wind was just great, what was missing were the very big days (the hepic 4.0/3.5 powered up) of which we were blessed last year in September AND October! The kinds of wind where a 65-70L board shines. Actually, to cheer you up, I think September was overall a bit weaker.

Oh ... and in respect to Waiting4Wind comment, boards been sharp or less so: my old Sonic W52 "feels" faster (i.e. out of control) then my Carbon Art 52, but the GPS says otherwise. My top with the Sonic is 32+, while with the Carbon Art I hit almost 39 and I did not even notice. (Both boards with 5.6-6.0, interestingly enough the Sonic actually goes better upwind and jibes easier, but that is the due to its length, I think ... or me not used to the new board yet)

Last edited by davide; 23rd December 2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 18th December 2008, 03:47 AM   #10
steveC

Thanks davide for your thoughts. Your strategy is now much clearer, and sounds very well based.

With respect to my old ML board, it's a bit of an ancient relic, although a pretty good one overall. It's a 9'4" and only 23.5" wide. My thought with a new board would more like 8' and maybe 70cm wide at most, as I don't want to go any bigger than an 8.3 sail. Still though, dimensional details are sketchy right now, and I've always been one to let Mike do what he feels best.

Getting back to your board dilemma, I'm thinking in parallel with most recommendations here that the iS111 is your pick, as the newer designs really perform very well with large sails. My 100 liter ML works fantastically with a 7.1, so I'm thinking that you're right in there with room to spare your 7.3 and the iS111. By the way, I'm about your weight at 75kg.

Lastly, I'd bury the JP idea. Although I really can't comment on the performance of the JP SS118 you're considering, I bought a JP in 2000 and it was a total dog, so I'm somewhat prejudiced. Also, at least in my opinion, the iS111 is, without a doubt, a much better looking board.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote