Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th December 2008, 11:45 AM   #11
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Lastly, I'd bury the JP idea. Although I really can't comment on the performance of the JP SS118 you're considering, I bought a JP in 2000 and it was a total dog, so I'm somewhat prejudiced.
Antoine Albeau might disagree with you!

The CA 58/98 is probably very similar to your ML 100 in range, I used with the 7.3 and it works (although it is still a high-medium wind board).

Everybody is suggesting the 111 and I am sure there is a lot of merit to the suggestion. The only hesitation is that this board will serve double duties: powered up 7.3 AND slogging underpowered 7.3 ... and in this last (very sub-optimal) incarnation 108-110L might be too little to be completely comfortable ...

I still have a 2000 Kinetic 108x58x273 which almost makes it as a light air board, but at the end it does not, and that is why I got a ML 125/75. Is it the magic of the new designs that makes volume so much less important?!

Last edited by davide; 26th December 2008 at 10:30 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Waiting4wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
Everybody is suggesting the 111 and I am sure there is a lot of merit to the suggestion. The only hesitation is that this board will serve double duties: powered up 7.3 AND slogging underpowered 7.3 ... and in this last (very sub-optimal) incarnation 108-110L might be too little to be completely comfortable ...
If you're75kg you'll have absolutely no problem slogging the IS111, I don't have any challenge with my 7.8m and I'm near 90kg. Slogging my heavy old 9m, the board is a bit wobbly and you need to be careful not to bury the nose, but still I wouldn't say it's a problem. The width and volume distribution of the new boards makes them a lot more slog friendly.
Waiting4wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 12:43 PM   #13
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4wind View Post
If you're75kg you'll have absolutely no problem slogging the IS111, I don't have any challenge with my 7.8m and I'm near 90kg. Slogging my heavy old 9m, the board is a bit wobbly and you need to be careful not to bury the nose, but still I wouldn't say it's a problem. The width and volume distribution of the new boards makes them a lot more slog friendly.
Well ... here it is in my garage a brand new Isonic 111 2008, it looks quite beautiful and it seems just the right size for my purpose. As expected it is quite smaller then my ML 75, which is good since the ML was quite a handful and I can actually keep it for those very very very light days (or as a swimming platform): time to take out some epoxy/fiber/paint and restore it.

Thank you everybody for the suggestions, I now need some wind to put such a great quiver in action ... probably late February it will start ...

Last edited by davide; 16th January 2009 at 12:48 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Screamer

Congratulations Davide

As for 111 being sub-optimal for slogging, don't worry. At your weight it will slog easily even with an 8+m rig, tested.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote