Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th January 2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Boije

Default Kode 80 back footstrap

Hi, I just got my Kode 80 wood carbon, look great. While putting the footstraps, I wanted to put the back strap in the last position, closest to the tail. I found that when you put the anti-twist system, it lays on top of the board and not on the pad because the last holes for the screws are situated on the edge of the pad, just where it ends. As a result, the anti-twist lays half on the pad and half on the board. I am thinking this will eventually scratch the board. Is there any solution to this or will it not scratch the board, have any of you guys tried it already? For the moment, I have used the middle position for the back strap but I would like to use the last position. Thanks.

BTW the board looks awsome!! haven't tried it yet though, no wind
Boije is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

On my Kode 80 the rear holes works fine (although I prefer the middle hole for that board). You have the protruding part of the K9 washer pointing forwards, into the recess, right? Can you post a pic?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Boije

Hi Ola, thanks for answering so fast. I have taken pics, here they go:

The second pic is how I have put it so far and the last one is how it is supposed to go for the back position. It looks kinda weird in that position because it stays half on the pad and half outside.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kode 083.jpg (40.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg kode 082.jpg (39.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg kode 084.jpg (40.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 13th January 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Yes, your pads are a few mm further forwards than mine, it seems. I'll forwards the pics to the office and see what they have to say.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:03 PM   #5
nonopr

Cobra at it best>>>>>>
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 01:41 AM   #6
dan e

The guy in the factory installing these pads must be sniffing too much glue
Too many costly mistakes. Quality control missed this one again

You can add some rubber material and glue it with conatact cement from home depot.

If your lazy you can use double sided foam mounting squares from 3M and just stack them so they are the same thickness as the pads.

Dan
dan e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Boije

Probably the one who cut them too . The same happens with the front part of the back pad. The first holes are just on the edge of the pad so if I want to use the front position for the back strap, I can't either . That limits my options to the center position (unless I do the whole glueing rubber material, etc).
Old 15th January 2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I haven't heard anything from the office, but I think something is obviously not right here. So, one option for you is to take it back to the shop and let them have a look. It seems the pad is slightly different in shape to mine. Maybe it could be the pad from another boards or something. If so, one option could be a replacement pad. But I can not assess this here, it has to go through the dealer. As always the most important thing is to have sailable board though so in the mean time you can always for Dans solutions, ie basically only add some kind of (big enough) rubber washer (in the thickness of the pad) under the footstrap. Technically, you don't need to even glue it since it will be held in place by the footrap itself and the screw passing through it.

One word of cautions though. Before screwing the strap into the board, be sure there is a maximal amount of free screw length below your home made washer (ie screw/push the screw through the strap/waser as far as possible). This is to make sure the screw can start to grip in the plug before the strap and washer starts to "resist".
Old 15th January 2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Boije

Well it's gonna be a windy weekend so I might just use the middle position for the back strap and see how that goes before doing anything else. I have been looking at pictures and I have found 3 type of pads on kodes... Just for curiosity, what is the reason for this? The ones on my board are like the ones you have on the website. I have also noticed the bottom part of the board was supposed to be red according to the pictures but it is grey like the carbon part on top of the board which, in my opinion, looks better than red so I am happy with that. I am just asking all of this, for me it's no big deal, the board looks amazing and in a few days I will be able to say if it works as I expected. It's already my 5th Starboard.

I also want to ask a question related to pads, I have a Flare 111 '07 and the pads are starting to wear off. Is there anyway I can replace them for a new set of original ones? And are the pads on the new flares thicker? I found the ones on the 2007 flares a bit too thin and not as comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ko1.jpg (61.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg kode.jpg (63.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Kode80T.jpg (26.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 16th January 2009, 03:28 AM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Without knowing the actual reason for sure, I would say the reason for the different types of foot pads is simply product development. Between the first production run and consecutive ones sometimes "simple" things like this are changed. If the designers think of an improvement and it's possible to do it "mid season", why not do it? Big things like shape is of course always the same throughout a model year. Boujmaas pads look pre production for sure. Something I've also noticed on m boards throughout the years is that the black-white pattern on the pads may be reversed. My guess this was due to the pads first being all black or all white, then cut and re-aligned to form the pattern which would leave half the pads looking one way and the other looking the other way.

Replacement pads: It may take time, but your dealer should be able to order from your importer should should be able to order from Starboard.

Bottome color: I don't even know which is the "right" one. The one one the web ste might be some pre production idea. I have to go and check what color I have, but I think it is also white-greyish.