Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 8th February 2009, 09:23 PM   #1
JD111

Default Fin box cracks

Hi All,

I am after some advice regarding a number of cracks in the fin box of my 2006 S-Type 126 (pics attached). There are about 7-8 hairline cracks in various places (in the fin box) which generally run from the bolt holes. Two of the cracks run up the front and back (one at the front and one at the back) of the fin box and both run about 3mm onto the hull. Another two cracks run the full distance between the bolt holes. It is hard to gauge how deep the cracks are, but they are not scratches...

Should I be concerned about these cracks? Do they need to be fixed? Is this a common problem?.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG3275.jpg (89.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3277.jpg (96.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3278.jpg (97.9 KB, 45 views)
JD111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 11:52 PM   #2
nonopr

looks like you have put so much force in your fin screws that the under layer of glass and carbon has given up. Definitely is something that involve the force used to screw your fin.
It might be also that the alligment with the screw holes and the board holes are not spot on and the screws are rubbing against the side wal of the screw holes. Many stories have been circulating in the forum that the fin box holes in many boards are not lined up and people had to file a bit of material in the holes to line them up..
I have 3 isonic boards all different sizes and one of them I had to this to be able to line up the screw with the fin hole once the fin inside the box.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 07:28 PM   #3
JD111

Hi Nonopr,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I actually just bought this board on an auction site. It was described as 'as new condition' with the exception of a small ding that was clearly photographed and described. Once I received the board I could see some damage around the fin box and the stress fractures within the fin box, which were not described in the correspondence with the previous owner.

As suggested, I checked the fin bolt alignment with the bolt holes and everything looks to be aligned correctly, the nuts in the fin are aligned dead center with a several mm gap between where the outer surface of the bolt would be and the surface of the bolt hole. I guess that the previous owner just applied too much force.....

In your experience are the stress fractures that are pictured in the previously attached images likely to cause any problems... is it ok to use the board as is or should this damage be fixed before I use the board....

Thank you
Old 9th February 2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Mike T

Hi JD
I have a couple of questions? How does the deck of the board look between the fin bolt holes? Also do you see any other cracks in the sides or the front or rear sections of the fin box? Here is a good check to see if you have a major problem or a minor one. Close off the vent screw and put the board in the sun. Let the board get hot and then put some Kids bubble blowing soap Or soapie water on the fin box If the fin box is leaking to the core then it will make more bubbles as the core is outgassing thru the cracks in the fin box. It's time for a new fin box. Clean out the fin box with Alcohol to get rid of the soap and water let it dry for a day or two. If it isn't then you could fix the cracks with penatrating epoxy ( very low viscosity epoxy) You need something that will flow into those small cracks. plug the holes with some soft foam (Foam Ear Plugs Work great) Leave a little space at the bottom of the holes so that some excess epoxy will flow into the holes this will seal the holes. Then lay a narrow strip of 4oz carbon and 4oz S glass layed into the bottom of the fin box to reinforce the bottom of the screw holes. Use only enought epoxy to saturate the carbon and then lay in the S glass and add only small amount of epoxy until the glass turns clear. Make sure it's pushed to the bottom of the fin box (a small brush works well for that and let it cure. Try to keep the epoxy of the sides of the fin box. Then once cured remove the foam plugs and using a small drill bit drill thru the carbon and S glass and then use a round file or some rolled up sand paper to get the hole to the original size. That way you don't enlarge the original holes. If your not comfortable with doing a repair then please take it to someone. Good luck hope this helps. Mike
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 11:13 PM   #5
nonopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD111 View Post
Hi Nonopr,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I actually just bought this board on an auction site. It was described as 'as new condition' with the exception of a small ding that was clearly photographed and described. Once I received the board I could see some damage around the fin box and the stress fractures within the fin box, which were not described in the correspondence with the previous owner.

As suggested, I checked the fin bolt alignment with the bolt holes and everything looks to be aligned correctly, the nuts in the fin are aligned dead center with a several mm gap between where the outer surface of the bolt would be and the surface of the bolt hole. I guess that the previous owner just applied too much force.....

In your experience are the stress fractures that are pictured in the previously attached images likely to cause any problems... is it ok to use the board as is or should this damage be fixed before I use the board....

Thank you
I am not sure if in the future there will be any problems related to this cracks, but you never know.
Usually the box is a separate part from the board and if there is some damage you can take it to a professional board repair guy and they can fix it no problem.
I just be worried if the cracks appear in top of your board in the area where the fin box is located, that would mean than the fin box is going to fail. But the way it looks this might just be superficial. I hope. I dont think that having the board in the sun for a while and then putting some water and soap in the fin box will reveal anything , but that test is not going to cost you any money, so I will try that just in case the fin box is allowing water to sip in the board. Make sure when you put water and soap there are not to many bubbles already in the mixture, that way you see the actual bubbles forming if the box.
Good luck.
Old 11th February 2009, 07:58 AM   #6
JD111

Hi Mike/Nonopr,

Thank you very much for your detailed responses.....

The deck of the board between the bolt holes looks fine, there are no cracks or other signs of damage. Inside the bolt holes (from the deck side) there also looks like there is no damage but the finish is kind of rough given the finish of the rest of the board.

There are no cracks (but lots of scratches) that I can see on the side walls of the fin box (looking from the bottom of the board). There is one crack the full distance of the front section of the fin box and one crack running the full distance of the back section of the fin box, the crack on the back section is worse than that at the front section and from the distance the back section crack runs onto the bottom of the board it looks to be about 3mm deep.

I will try the soap test and see how I go from there....

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide such detailed advice, thank you!
Old 11th February 2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Mike T

JD111
Can you post some pictures of the cracks in the leading edge and trailing edge of the fin box and of the crack in the bottom of the board. Thanks Mike
Old 12th February 2009, 07:32 PM   #8
JD111

Hi Mike,

I have attached some additional pics. CIMG3285.jpg shows the trailing edge of the fin box/bottom of the board, the crack is directly in the middle of the trailing edge to the left hand side of the gouge... this crack continues to run down the trailing edge of the fin box to the bottom (CIMG3290.jpg). The last pic (CIMG3294.jpg) shows the leading edge of the fin box and the crack is close to the center.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG3285.jpg (92.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3290.jpg (91.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3294.jpg (91.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 12th February 2009, 09:59 PM   #9
nonopr

Unhappy Wow you need a repair ASAP.

You should have posted this photos before. This fin box is broken, cracked and need to be repair ASAP. I am sure you have water in you board as well.
This fin box broke when the fin hit a rock or entering the shore. I am sure about that. The guy who sold you the board is a scammer. He should give you the money back.
That is all I have to say.
In your first picture you can see the box is already disconnected from the board slightly and the third picture you can see a hole inside the box side wall.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Mike T

JD111
Hi! thanks for the additional pictures, It not looking good my friend! Is that the crack in the bottom of the board First Pic left corner slightly out of focus? You have some damage that is for sure. I agree with nonpr you should try to get your money back. That board should not have been sold in that condition unless the guy was willing to pay for the repair and was up front about it. I'd get my money back if you can and if you can't get a new box put in. It's a shame some people in this world can't be honest! Good luck JD hope you can get it sorted out. PS Did you try the soap trick? Would love to hear what that outcome would be. I bet it will blow some nice bubbles! Another way to prove to the slacker (I'm being Nice) that he sold you a broken board!