Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th February 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default formula one design

Wow, where did all the talk about FOD go?

Well, I just want to say

Congratulations rs:x, by showing how brilliant the concept is compared to formula one design. Formula one design seems to have vanished off the face of the earth which is a good sign, as it would most likely have destroyed the formula class.

Let's just say that formula windsurfing is 'different' from the rs:x in many ways, and that the rs:x was first intended to be a formula windsurfer. But due to the isaf policy of racing below 6 knots, the board and sail had to be modified to meet these requirements. I want to thank neilpryde for doing such a brilliant job and hope that they keep up the good work

Comments?
Old 25th February 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow, where did all the talk about FOD go?

Comments?
yep, I have one comment, what are you doing here?
ciao M.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Unregistered

Starboard and the Formula Windsurfing community lost an excelent oportunity to keep FW interesting to the average racer who doesn't want to expent a lot of money in fins to just be a number on the race course. Too bad.
I think that the mix betwen FW (162) and FE (rig and fin) are the best for us now or soon we will not have FW anymore.
Old 26th February 2009, 02:07 AM   #4
gre-969

Send a message via AIM to gre-969 Send a message via Skype™ to gre-969

FW is and will grow in future, the only ones who are loosing are people who thinks like you guys at the the poster 1 & 3 .
FW is a pure racing machine, and this does not take any compromisse and changes backwards.
So please just focus only on to FWOD via RS:X in your discussion and don't get involved with FW wich you don't like anyway, as I understood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gre-969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 03:18 AM   #5
Ken

Formula - What a God send.

For those of us that live in light wind areas, nothing else provides as much fun as a formula board in 10 to 15 knots of wind. I raced longboards for 18 years and thoroughly enjoyed it, but rarely sailed longboards for fun. I have raced formula for over 6 years and love to free sail in winds under 20 knots.

All races that I attend have either formula classes or open classes and are usually very successful. For many of us, formula has filled a significant need. Others could care less as noted above and if you don't like formula, good for you. Clearly it's not for everyone, but some of us thrive on it.

I am not an expert formula racer, but I still get a rush when on a downwind run in 1/2 meter chop in 15 knots of wind on an 11.0, reaching 25 knots of board speed.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 04:10 AM   #6
Unregistered

Default $8.1-billion broth

gre-969,
Unfortunatelly the facts tell another story, FW fleet is going down in number year after year, just see how many racers were at the 4 or 5 past world championships, each year the number is decreasing.
We love FW? Yes. Is FW growing? NO. We want FW to disapear? NO. So, if nobody do nothing, we will not see much FWers around. Too bad and too sad, but that's the truth.
Old 26th February 2009, 07:55 PM   #7
ceri

Hi, regarding World Championships, venues and attendances.
Venues are not chosen merely to maximise attendances. IFWC is an "international class" , we go to all continents (and i hope we can go to Africa in the near future )- where we can engage a competant and enthusiastic organiser , supporting a vibrant national ( and regional) racing community.
ceri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gre-969 View Post
FW is a pure racing machine, and this does not take any compromisse and changes backwards.
untrue

Formula has a huge compromise in its performance. The compromise is that it has maximised its early planing characteristics at the expense of its sub planing performance.
The term no compromise is meaningless in respect of the design of windsurf equipment. It is ALL compromise. No compromise is a bullshit marketing term.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:39 PM   #9
sergio k

the only compromise FW makes is to sail in conditions 6-30 knots,
that's leaves out no-wind/or hurricane like conditions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
untrue

Formula has a huge compromise in its performance. The compromise is that it has maximised its early planing characteristics at the expense of its sub planing performance.
The term no compromise is meaningless in respect of the design of windsurf equipment. It is ALL compromise. No compromise is a bullshit marketing term.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:47 AM   #10
gre-969

Send a message via AIM to gre-969 Send a message via Skype™ to gre-969

FW sailors (competitors) are not intresting in sub planning conditions.
For this exist RS:X, MOD and LONGBOARDS.
The development of FW is not doing compromises in going backwards, the newer equipments works much easier and with better results in speed,up-down winds, handling and control even in very high winds <30 knots or in very low 7k. and believe me I got adict to that sport like many others of my collegs in Greece and many of us never would step backwards to something slower than our Formula boards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gre-969 is offline   Reply With Quote