Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st March 2009, 05:22 AM   #1
Kombat

Default One board quiver?

Hi,

first of all, me: ~75kg rider, waterstarting, harness, straps, but still not "really" gibing...

Today I have a Kombat 97 -07, sailed w 4.7/5.7/6.4, and I am very happy with this board, have been thinking of adding a K79 for higher winds. Only thing I am missing is that I wish I could use bigger sail, and get going with less wind...

For some reasons I sometime spend time away, and have no possibilites to bring a complete equipment, and therefore I am thinking of getting another board, so I only would have to bring the rigs with me...
Have been thinking about:
-JP Supersport 109/116
-Fanatic Hawk 108
-Kombat/Kode 107/105
-Futura 101

I have only tested the Kombat(97) so I need input from all of you guys, pros and cons... the board will be used in choppy -> small swell conditions.
The F101 seems interesting since it does have a big sailrange (thinking of adding a Hellcat 7.2 or 7.7 to the sails, which one would be best suited for the board (and me), and add up most nicely to an existing Excess 6.4?
I know the Kombat loves to jump, but how is the Futura compared to the Kombat in this area?
How much would it really differ in top end speed Kombat/Kode vs Futura?
I guess the JP is the "blasting only", and maybe the Hawk is more willing to jump and do some basic freestyle, how is the Futura compared to these boards?

I have also been looking at iSonic, but since i don't want to spend fortunes on new rigs, and this new board will more or less be use on occasional basis mainly during summer, and there might be less experienced people wanting to try it out, I guess a fast freeride-slalom/freeracer is the way to go (or you can try to convince me other way...). Because of this I also need some durability, and since my K97 doesn't have a single dent after two seasons, my confidence in SB is quite good...

Drawback of Futura is that I have a set of old PB fins from an older board which currently cannot be used...

So, please share your opinions...
Kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 02:10 AM   #2
COACHG

I donít think you can compare the Kode/Kombat to the Futura, that is like comparing apples to oranges. You could compare the Kode/Kombat to the Hawk as they are more similar in design intent, but if you are looking to let inexperienced people ride the board you may want to consider a bigger board.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACHG View Post
I donít think you can compare the Kode/Kombat to the Futura, that is like comparing apples to oranges. You could compare the Kode/Kombat to the Hawk as they are more similar in design intent, but if you are looking to let inexperienced people ride the board you may want to consider a bigger board.

Coachg
Ok, from that i understand that the Futura is more of racing/blasting, as the Kombat/Hawk is more of a freemove/B&J board... still, how would the Futura handle some long jumps when blasting over the wave crests...? I'm trying to find the similarities of the "old" S-types which obviously were okay jumpers (or am I wrong?).
Still the F101 (65 cm wide) maybe could give me some extra benefits while finetuning my gybes, compaer to my Kobat(61,5cm)?
Old 3rd March 2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Kombat

..sorry, forgot to login... :-(
Kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
COACHG

Any board will perform long jumps over wave crests. Heck, Iíve seen guys jump formula boards! So if you are talking long floating jumps, then you will be fine with the F101. The Futura is just not a board that you want to take into waves as its nose rocker is way too low.

Do you plan on keeping your Kombat? Then get the F101 as they are different boards for different conditions. Do you plan on selling your Kombat? Then get the F101 if you want to blast and launch long, floating jumps. Get the Kode if you plan on slashing, jumping & hitting some waves.

Coachg
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
PG

I rented a Fanatic Eagle 114 a few weeks ago in Egypt and must admit that I was pleasently surprised. It seemed as a very good combination of blasting and turning. If the 101 is anything similar then it could fit your needs.
I believe that Starboard and Exocet have made similar board range choises. The Futura and the S-Cross are both very much blasting, while the Kombat/Kode and Cross are FSW-style. Oddly enough Fanatic has squeezed in two boards in between, Eagle and Hawk.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Floyd

Cool

And they are both Powerbox !!!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:08 PM   #8
COACHG

Yeah, that tuttle thing is why I waited so long to get the Futura. I have a nice set of powerbox fins for 56-65 cm winde boards, but all my tuttle fins are for 70 cm or wider boards. Kind of a pain having the exact same fin in the exact same size but with different tops. When push came to shove I liked the Futura more then the other options. But how many people will buy the other options because of the fin box?

Coachg
Old 4th March 2009, 12:39 AM   #9
steveC

Oh no Coachg, now you've done it. The Tuttle/Powerbox debate again.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 01:42 AM   #10
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Board's range segmenting made simple:

iSonic : dedicated slalom rocket
Futura : freeslalom/fast freeride
Kombat/Kode : freewave/freeride crossover

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote