Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th March 2009, 11:04 PM   #61
Floyd

Unhappy Windier places ?? Couldnt sail !!!

I know its completely off topic but for a windy place have a look at

http://www.neway-leucate.com/fr/mete...deec01ee37ba28

It calmed down to 51 knots today. Couldn`t have sailed anyway. Bad neck.(Took loads of photos)

I`ve not come accross anywhere as regularly windy as Leucate area (all year too, March is unbelievable) (Regularly too windy !!!) Not many waves though !!!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 08:51 AM   #62
wiindz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I know its completely off topic but for a windy place have a look at

http://www.neway-leucate.com/fr/mete...deec01ee37ba28

It calmed down to 51 knots today. Couldn`t have sailed anyway. Bad neck.(Took loads of photos)

I`ve not come accross anywhere as regularly windy as Leucate area (all year too, March is unbelievable) (Regularly too windy !!!) Not many waves though !!!
haha, no such thing as to windy if there arent many waves is it mostly flatwater? if you, youve got yourself world speed record breaking winds mate!! ;p
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 11:11 PM   #63
eli villalabeitia

Default where is the volume answer

hi, I have been following this thread, and it lokks fair to have a definitive answer from Starboad, lots years buying their boards deserve an explanation.
bye
eli
eli villalabeitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 01:01 AM   #64
Floyd

Talking Can get too wndy !!

If it never gets too windy for you perhaps you are sailing at wrong place !!

Folk were struggling walking with kit let alone sailing it on Saturday. There were some trying to sail but trying was operative word. There were perhaps 20 on water (On Etang;inland sea) and at any one time probably 2 actually sailing. Nobody was gybing. Couple of massive jumps though. (It did gust to 53 knots ; constant 42 knot most afternoon) Not really smooth.

Sunday was calmer. !!! (Max gust 43 knots) Averaged 33 knots or so through day. Loads out with 4 metres and less. (One sailor using a 3 metre and going fine !!) Loads less wind than saturday !!
Old 9th March 2009, 01:49 AM   #65
wiindz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
If it never gets too windy for you perhaps you are sailing at wrong place !!

Folk were struggling walking with kit let alone sailing it on Saturday. There were some trying to sail but trying was operative word. There were perhaps 20 on water (On Etang;inland sea) and at any one time probably 2 actually sailing. Nobody was gybing. Couple of massive jumps though. (It did gust to 53 knots ; constant 42 knot most afternoon) Not really smooth.

Sunday was calmer. !!! (Max gust 43 knots) Averaged 33 knots or so through day. Loads out with 4 metres and less. (One sailor using a 3 metre and going fine !!) Loads less wind than saturday !!
there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that i am sailing the wrong place!!!! haha, montreal is far from an ideal windsurfing location!!! but as for too windy, i still dont buy that, just get a smaller rig!! take a look at this guy, and then tell me saturday was too windy;p

http://www.rikswindsurfing.com/news/.../pic-1-pop.htm
http://www.boardseekermag.com/mini_f...-sail-070.html

haha no, but i agree with you, that much wind is super scetchy!!!!!the most ive been out in is sumwhat like your sunday, but i was on a 4.8 wayyy over, should have pulled out the 3.5, still had a hell of a time however!!! the belt on the adjustable head was vidbrating so much from the wind that it sounded like an airplane taking off over my head, great memories;p

Last edited by wiindz; 9th March 2009 at 02:05 AM.
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 02:37 AM   #66
Floyd

Talking

Its not ideal here either. Wind can double or half in minutes. (literally) and it can be very regional.(Its unwise to sail anything you couldnt get back in sub planing which makes the strong wind bit harder to deal with)Believe it or not St Marie just 3 miles away had biggest gust of 12 knots today;whereas Leucate had 43 max gust to.
Very rarely any waves and tends to be offshore on coast and still choppy.
Good sailing when you get dialed in.My neck`s still bad though !!Good winds.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:41 AM   #67
jpon2

I have been reading this post and have come to the conclusion that the GO 171L should be able to handle my 122kg body. I am planning to learn water start this summer but from what I've read, I should be able to uphaul it when the wind is not strong enough. Does everyone agree?
jpon2 is offline   Reply With Quote