Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 21st December 2008, 07:19 PM   #31
carlosgp5

Default on the fin

Hello roger and all
You help was very usefull.I have definetly improved my upwind angles and speed by using your tips of riding on the fin.
Cheers
carlosgp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:04 AM   #32
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Carlos,
Glad we could help!
The "cramps" in your hips will go away soon!
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:25 AM   #33
Ken

Carlosgp5,

While I am not a pro, I have been told that while railing a formula board will allow you to point higher, it is faster to keep the board flat and go for a little less angle and more speed. I think everyone rails the board a little, but too much will cost you speed.

I have raced formula with many good pro sailors and I haven't seen any of them rail their board more than 20 degrees.

Much like the old race boards, they point very high, but are slow. Better to lose 20 degrees and gain three times the speed. Not that much difference on a formula board, but the principal is similar.

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 07:03 PM   #34
carlosgp5

Cheers Ken,
I realize the lose of speed if railing too much... However I'm feeling there's some point, where I get the optimum angle and speed.
Well, optimum comparing to my mates, when I am gaining distance over them. For sure it changes a lot depending on the sea conditions and the wind also.
I think what happened actually is, while trying to learn the railing thing, I improved my upwind angle and speed... After this talks in these forum I'm for sure a better sailor!!!!!
I'll keep what you said in my mind, cause for sure you are right. I don't wanna point up wind as a boat and be slow as it is.
Thanks for helping
carlosgp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 10:03 PM   #35
Ken

Carlos,

I have raced at the US Open in Corpus Christi for 20 years in a row and have been side by side with a lot of great sailors over the years (at least at the start). What always impresses me is how the top sailors are always pointing higher than me and and with more speed. Of course, every year, they are on the water 100+ days more than me, so practice does make a difference.

I am sure that I can easily find my optimum up wind speed and angle, but I still get smoked by the pros. It's always impressive to see what they can do on their boards.

Keep up the practice, it's worth it.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:54 PM   #36
Papounet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi Duracell,
A wider board will plane up earlier, but this wasn't really "discovered" until the first Starboard W-75 and GO boards came out in around 1999.
The first wide board approved in slalom serie production was the SEATREND ALL STAR 70 IN 1998.

The idea was from Ken Winner.
In 1997, he Designed, raced and promoted the first modern wide, short boards, precursors of the current Formula boards.

In 1999 many brands, have made large boards, Starboard was just one of them.
- SEATREND ALL STAR 80
- Starboard W75
- AHD Diamond 72
- Mistral SLE AVS
- Roberts 31
- F2 Thommen course race XL
- Fanatic Falcon 72 ( first one )
- DROPS FL11
Papounet is offline   Reply With Quote