Old 20th March 2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Finski

Default Repairing Bottom of Formulaboard

Hi

Im sure many people have asked the same question but I couldnt find any thread that could help. So here goes: I have some cracks on the bottom of my Formula board (most likely age and fatigue) so I have sanded down the parts with the cracks and will most likely use somekind of epoxy filler to fix the cracks.
But I have plans to sand down the whole bottom of the board down to the wood and the apply a thin coat of epoxy over the whole bottom....
My problem is how to get a thin and even layer of epoxy?...
I have not herd that u can spray epoxy with paintspray.??
Or could I use any 2 komponent spraypaint....(like car paint???)

THX

/Carl
Finski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 11:23 AM   #2
nonopr

use car paint.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Unregistered

not sure the benefit to apply a layer of epoxy, it adds weight, without cloth has no strength and is brittle. More likely to damage the board when you try to sand it back as ti won't go on smooth.

Better to use 2 pot marine epoxy paint of some sort; ideally you want to apply then not have to sand, so that means spray.

I would suggest automotive cans of paint; not very hard, will scratch, but cheap, water proof and light.
Old 21st March 2009, 12:27 AM   #4
steveC

Poster #3 brought up an important point concerning the downside of epoxy when no fiberglass or carbon cloth is used. If you have cracks of any depth at all, they should be filled and then properly laminated over with cloth to ensure that they are satisfactorily resolved.

To obtain more background about repair strategies and methods, I would highly recommend that you study The Boardlady's website.

http://www.boardlady.com/index.htm
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote