Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st October 2007, 12:47 AM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
I can say that over the years that some of them yellowed a bit, but that took some time.
SteveC,

The phenomenon of board yellowing is entirely chemical and is distinct from the present paint blistering/bubbling problem. See old discussion for explanation and remedy below :

http://2006.star-board.com/Forum/sta...ad.asp?ID=3541

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 09:40 AM   #12
steveC

Hi Jean-Marc,

I know that you're absolutely right about the yellowing situation, but frankly the old boards of mine that exhibited the problem have been retired for years. I still have them though, as they offered a valued life. Almost like my collection of exotic cars that I could have never afforded. The old sailboards are definitely worthy though, if only because they offering outstanding service in their viable life.

Undoubtedly, I'm sure that many folks feel the same about their favorite boards from the past, including many Starboards.

As an aside, I'm still striving for that Serenity. I'm really banking on the reality that the board will ultimately come with the taylored bag. For me, that's a prerequisite.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 06:40 PM   #13
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Hi Jean-Marc,

I know that you're absolutely right about the yellowing situation, but frankly the old boards of mine that exhibited the problem have been retired for years. I still have them though, as they offered a valued life. Almost like my collection of exotic cars that I could have never afforded. The old sailboards are definitely worthy though, if only because they offering outstanding service in their viable life.

Undoubtedly, I'm sure that many folks feel the same about their favorite boards from the past, including many Starboards.
True. Yellowing is easier to detect on a white board but more difficult to see on a gray, blue, red or yellow board. Spiking the bottom hull with lemon juice should reveal whether or not some yellowing had occured or not.

Quote:
As an aside, I'm still striving for that Serenity. I'm really banking on the reality that the board will ultimately come with the taylored bag. For me, that's a prerequisite.
Sorry guys for hijacking this thread beyond the original subject but have you SteveC made contact with the US distributor ? I see no reasons why you can't get the boardbag specifically tailored for the Serenity whith your order.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 1st October 2007 at 06:43 PM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 12:04 AM   #14
steveC

Hi JM,

Yes, I coordinated with James Gallinger of Trident Sports and he recommended a retail firm, Boardsports, in the SF Bay area. My subsequent contacts with Boardsports seem to suggest that a deal could be put together, and I've been on hold since about the third week of August. Although Serenitys were available in NA, the bag was a point of delay. At the time, the leadtime for the bag was roughly estimated for October. Time will tell if everything materializes. Overall, I'm still hopeful.
Old 2nd October 2007, 12:22 AM   #15
Unregistered

check with Boardsports (Berkeley?) again, I've heard they are closing down next moth
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:35 AM   #16
steveC

To be a bit more specific about the firm, it was Boardsports School. It's my understanding that they operate out of a few locations, with the latest opening inside of Coyote Point within the last few months. But, to be safe, I'll check further. Thanks for the input.
Old 25th March 2009, 07:28 PM   #17
taylormade

I think the solution of blistered boards being stored improperly is a load of bull, if that were the case why does it only bubble on the bottom and not the top or rails, and expecially around the footstraps where it really holds moisture. This is just a solution corporate came up with to avoid having to stand behind their boards and lose money on warranty repairs or replacements. I have seen it happen to 3 starboard boards in addition to a bunch of leaking fin box problems. In my opinion its caused by poor quality control and poor materials and if starboard dont start standing behind their products I will never buy another one, there are too many GOOD board makers out there to choose from.

Last edited by taylormade; 25th March 2009 at 07:40 PM.
taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote