Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st December 2008, 03:56 AM   #1
luis_martino

Default Sails NP / Gaastra vs. Naish

hi everybody,
which sail would you recomend for me? I am 85 kg, 1,81 mts and 45 years old (intermediate sailor).
I own a Gaastra GTX 9.8 (2005) and a NP Saber 7,2 (2005). I sail from 10 knots on in flatwater (if very windy, some waves and high choppy).
As bankers ruined me, I made the decision to spend my last bucks in myself and revamp my quiver. I found reasonble prices for two sails and need some advise. The idea would be to change the Saber 7.2 (05) for a Naish Boxer SL 7.0 (08) (I use this sail with a carve 111) and the GTX 9.8 (05) for a Naish Red Line 9.0 (08) (to use it with a F 148, perhaps an Isonic 133!!). What do you think? Any thoughts, experiences you might share?
Thank you
Luis
luis_martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 07:33 AM   #2
crazychemical

the 7.2 -> 7.0 step is good and won't effect your sailrange but i do think the 9.8 -> 9.0 even with the added cam and more race designed sail will give you a lesser windrange. May want to look for something bigger there. Can't help you on the experience part, i have never sailed naish sails but i am looking to buy red lines though i do hear that the mastsleave tends to tear at the bottom though that never effects the sail.
Old 21st December 2008, 11:35 AM   #3
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_martino View Post
hi everybody,
which sail would you recomend for me? I am 85 kg, 1,81 mts and 45 years old (intermediate sailor).
I own a Gaastra GTX 9.8 (2005) and a NP Saber 7,2 (2005). I sail from 10 knots on in flatwater (if very windy, some waves and high choppy).
As bankers ruined me, I made the decision to spend my last bucks in myself and revamp my quiver. I found reasonble prices for two sails and need some advise. The idea would be to change the Saber 7.2 (05) for a Naish Boxer SL 7.0 (08) (I use this sail with a carve 111) and the GTX 9.8 (05) for a Naish Red Line 9.0 (08) (to use it with a F 148, perhaps an Isonic 133!!). What do you think? Any thoughts, experiences you might share?
Thank you
Luis
Naish Boxer SL7.0 would be a good choice, I have 6.4 and really like the sail;,
Naish 9.0- I also think it's a bit too small to replace your current GTX 9.8,
but somewhat depends on the board, Isonic 133 I would do a 9.0 (that board doesn't need much power to get going) but if you choose F148 or
specially newer formula board, you'll need 10+m2 for good performace, and real
race sail could be a good idea
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Unregistered

Weirdly enough, I have that exact sail combination, used with a Formula 147 (2003), and a Naish Slalom Pro 105 (2007). I'm 1.82m and 75kg, and sail those in Florida when I'm there. Winds from 10knots - 25knots max on flat to very choppy water.

With the Redline 9.0/F147 I can plane up in about 10 knots true with a decent 70cm fin, and hold on through 20+, though it stops being fun with much more than 18knots or so. With the 7.0 BoxerSl/Slalom Pro 105, I can plane in about 13 knots true with a 38cm fin. with a smaller fin (30-32) I've done 32+ knots max on the 7.0/105 combo on my gps.

I'm lighter, and have been sailing a long time and know how to pump, so that helps me get planing early, but I think it's a good combination of sails. When you're overpowered on the 9.0, you can definitely switch down to the 7.0 and have fun. I don't know how the 9.0 compares to the GTX 9.8 for low end, but both the Redline and the Boxer SL have tons of low end power for their size. They definitely have more low end than a full-on race sail, but are lacking some of the control at the top end. But, that's what they're supposed to do.

I haven't had any problems with the mast sleeve tearing on the Redline. As a disclaimer, I know the Naish guys, but I wouldn't recommend the sails without having used them and being happy with their performance.
Old 27th December 2008, 04:27 AM   #5
luis_martino

Thanks guys.
As both of you own a Boxer Sl. What if I use it with a SRM mast? It would loose that much? On the other hand, if I buy a RDM mast, would it fit with the rest of my old sails?
happy New Year!
luis_martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
sergio k

Quote:
Thanks guys.
As both of you own a Boxer Sl. What if I use it with a SRM mast? It would loose that much? On the other hand, if I buy a RDM mast, would it fit with the rest of my old sails?
happy New Year!
SDM would not work well (if at all) on Boxer SL, I would at least look for used RDM to reduce the cost, since the wall is thicker buying used RDM is not as much of a gamle
as high carbon SDM... On compatability of RDM with other sails it's really depends on the
each sail design, newer no cam sails are usually fine.
Old 4th January 2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Unregistered

I don't think you can even use a SDM on the Boxer SL - I believe the sleeve is too tight for it to fit. I'd try to find a used Naish or Powerex 430 RDM (they're essentially the same).

For your other sails, it's as Sergio says, it depends on the sail as to whether it works. What are your old sails you'd be using with the mast?
Old 9th January 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
COACHG

I have the 9.8, 2005 GTX and a 2007 Reline, but a 6.0, so I can't compare the two sails because I run them on different boards. Visually the GTX has a deeper draft and by feel the Redline has a more forward draft. For me, the Redline isn't an early planer, is great on a reach or off the wind, but not great up wind. No problems with the bottom of the sail. The GTX is much easier to rig because the Redline doesn't have the wide luff sleeve. Naish's Stealth is much easier to rig and de-rig then their Redline.

So for beam reach and off the wind sailing I would say the Redline. But keep your GTX if you want early planing, better upwind performance and greater range.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 10:08 PM   #9
howieP

Quote:
hi everybody,
The idea would be to change the Saber 7.2 (05) for a Naish Boxer SL 7.0 (08) (I use this sail with a carve 111)
Hi Luis,

I own a Boxer SL 7.0 (2007). I use it with a Blue Line RDM 430. The 1st thing to aware is that the sail is designed to use ONLY ON RDM masts. If you don't already have an RDM 430 or you are not prepared to invest for one, then don't buy the Boxer SL by mistake.

I fit the sail on a JP SuperX 106L (2005) board. It is a lovely sail with a lot of low-end power (for me, 60kg). The 2 small cams rotates effortlessly upon tacking/gybing. I would say it is just in between of the slalom and the freeride categories. My friend owns a GTX 6.5, and he's always complaining about the issue on cam handling for the GTX uses big cams mounted onto SDM masts while the Boxer SL uses tiny cam on RDM masts. It makes handling and rigger easier that the other cam sails that I own.

The other tips is that if you really mean to go for the Boxer SL 7.0, do buy a longer mast extension (preferrably 40-45cm).
I am not really sure whether the spec has changed for 2008 model. My 2007 BoxerSL 7.0 has a luff of 457cm. I use a 32cm skinny extension. After reserving the 27cm to compensate the luff requirement. I have quite a strong feeling that the inserted portion of the extension is not sufficiently long and that might cause point-loading to the mast. Now I bought a 45cm new extension and the worry is gone.

Hope this helps,
Howie

Last edited by howieP; 15th January 2009 at 10:17 PM.
howieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Unregistered

Default North Warp 2007 or 2008, 6.3m & 7.3 NEEDED!

I am looking to purchase the North Warp 2007 or 2008, 6.3m & 7.3m. Or the North Ram F8, 6.3m & 7.3m used or new.
And I am also looking to buy North Platinum Masts, 430cm & 460cm, or North Vipers in same sizes.

Please Email: yaroslav_ovcharuk@yahoo.com