Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 29th March 2009, 05:53 AM   #1
jerrymaka

Question Sail question ???

Hi this is going to be my second season windsurfing. I'm sailing on 08 Rio L with gastra pilot 7.5 (package deal) My weight is 87 kg. I feel very comfortable on that board, I'm using harnes and I'm trying getting into footstraps. I would like to get larger sail for the light wind days(99% of the time here in ontario canada) Any sugestion what kind and what size would be good for the beginner like me
Thank you
Jerry
jerrymaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jerry,
If you are fit and fairly strong, you could get an 8.5-9.0 camless or 2 cam rig.
Spend some extra money on the 490 cm mast you will need.
In masts longer than 460 cm the weight really begins to count.
If you are getting on well with your 7.5, either an 8.5 or a 9.0 is about the right
quiver spacing.
With modern sails, about 1.5 meter spacing is OK in the larger sizes.
As far as what brand, I'd look for something like the Sailworks Retro or the Severne
NCX.
I'm not familiar enough with the Gasstra sails, to recommend something but I do see that you already have the largest size Pilot.
There are many good no cam sails and plenty of 2 cam recreational/freeride sails on the market, just be sure to get the correct size and bend characteristics in the mast you purchase to go with the sail.
Buy at least a 75% carbon 490 mast, and get a 90-100 % mast if you can afford it.
If you take good care of a 100% mast, it will last a long time and give you many seasons of use.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 06:01 PM   #3
crazychemical

go for a 9.0. At your weight you need the spacing to actually benefit from the sailsize. but be carefull from stepping up from the Pilot, these are entry line sails and have an "easy" trim (one trim fits all besicly, which is fine when your just cruising/some planning) but once your going to handle the bigger stuff you need more trim possebilities so do yourself the favor yo go for a no-cam sail.
If you want to stay with Gaastra i'd say go for a Swift. There's also the north sails R-type or X-type (one of them, i can't recall completely) which have great power. The severne NCX is known to be a great nocam sail.

happy surf
Old 30th March 2009, 01:46 AM   #4
jerrymaka

Thank you guys I just checked few local shops is any of you know anything about severne focus it's 08 model size 8.5 I was trying to find info on the web but there is nothing obout that sail
jerrymaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Caribsurf

I have Focus 7.5 and 6.0 and for me they fine. But Iam not so experienced so I can not give you any better revue.
For me the are easy to handle and give me planing speed pretty effortless. Gess that the 8.5 is similar.

I got them on the net form Windsurfing Direct. Can recommend them grate support and advice for a newbie like me.

http://www.windsurfing-direct.com/us...tml&lang=en-us

Looks like they out for the 8.5s... But anyway you can check out some other sails maybe...
Caribsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
crazychemical

I think you risk of getting bored of the focus quite fast and you'll find a sail like the Gaastra Matrix or the Severne NCX more fun to sail. The focus has a more Pilot like idea, power but no trim, hence only fun in certain winds, whereas the NCX would have a more advanced trim and you'll be able to get continuous power in a much larger windrange. but in the end it's depends if you'r willing to spend the extra money