Old 19th April 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
agrelon

Default Waxing Boards?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who sails without rubber shoes waxes their board like surfers to make them more grippy? I'm gonna try it so I don't have to always wear shoes, especially when it gets hot.
agrelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 12:25 AM   #2
steveC

Seems to me that you need to re-do the non-slip texture on your board.

Waxing the deck of your board would be a real mess. Surfers wax boards because the lay on the board or knee paddle, and the waxed surface isn't that aggressive on more sensitive parts of the body. However, a waxed deck needs to be maintained, so it requires very regular re-waxing, to often include some mechanical texturing with a comb type tool. Also, wax attracts dirt, sand and tar, so in a relatively short time it looks pretty shabby, thereby necessitating complete removal and reapplication. If you have any texture left on your board right now, it would really complicate the removal process.

If you want to avoid the re-texturing process, you could alternatively use an EVA type padding in key areas.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Unregistered

Post grip

Pretty much 90% of boards out there have more than enough deck gripping.

There would be some major body chafing going on if surfboards had sailboard deck gripping on it. My feet get plenty tenderized when the booties come off.

However, ive used some old longboards and raceboards that are very slippery so it could have merit there.

My first raceboard with a poly deck was slick as hell so I took a sanding block to the thing. Much better.

Would not try that with a carbon/fibreglass board. Tufskin and Bic's plastic boards might be ok. (?)

I remember from a Peter Hart video that old fashioned sun oil wears the grip off.

So don't let any old fashioned sun bathers on your board!
Old 20th April 2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Unregistered

There can be a narrow line between super slippy and chaffing the feet though, whcih I guess is why the pads have taken off.